Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

pictures of our space....

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

These are pictures of the 4th bedroom we turned into the classroom. We bought our house 2 years ago and haven't been able to renovate, paint, remove border or wallpaper yet. So don't pay any attention to the border or the curtains. That will all be switched out eventually. And as our pee wee grows we will add a different table to make enough workspace for both the kids, another computer, etc. In fact, as soon as we replace our dinning table we will use the current one in the classroom.

This is what you see as soon as you walk in the door.

Our dry erase board, the tall drawers have art supplies, general craft supplies and daily school supplies. The shorter drawers are being used for the toddlers activities. Playdough, mega blocks, board books, lacing cards, etc. 
The magazine holders are for printables and file folder games. One per kid.  

This is the computer desk. It is directly across from the plastic storage drawes. That table will be replaced and the file boxes underneath will be replaced with a two drawer black file cabinet. I am waiting to be able to look through my daughter's materials for this year to see what other posters I can add for her above the desk.

Finally, the wall where the door is. A black dresser that holds two book shelves on top for books, pencil boxes etc, and inside the drawers are notebooks, notebook paper, printer paper, cardstock, construction paper, sketch books, etc, and math manipulatives, and a drawer on the bottom for science that has goggles, magnets, scale etc. I would love to be able to use the closet as well for school stuff but it has our vacuum, carpet scrubber and coats in it. There is literally no where else to put that stuff but in this closet. (small house) We eventually hope to replace our tv with one we can connect to the internet with and use it for school activities in the living room as well. If I could talk my husband into selling his pool table and racing stuff we could have an awesome space in our finished basement for the classroom with much more room. but I don't think that will ever happen. *sigh*

On the bottom of the closet door, underneath the maps, we will be adding a magnetic board for the kids. I am in the process of making/gathering letters, shapes, numbers, dress up dolls, fruits and veggies, magnetic people etc to use instead of using felt boards. And I took these pictures this morning so the kids are still in jammies. The toddler just discovered playdough last week. He is obsessed!!!

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Awesome space!  Did your k12 stuff come already?  Dang!  I'm emailing them again!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM
That looks awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rglrtmmy
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The toddler has a ton of educational toys but most of them are noisy. So those toys have been left in the toy box in the living room. I have chosen quieter activities for him to do in theI' room while I work with sister on her daily work and for when she is in class online and I have to be in the room to supervise but she needs it to be relatively quiet to concentrate on what the teacher is saying. I hope it works. ;0) He has to be where sister is at all times and she really likes having him near and she loves loves loves to teach him things. They are thick as thieves I tell ya and it will be interesting this year when she starts school back up to see how it's all gonna work and get done! So that's really the reason for adding a space for him in the classroom. I'm not in any hurry to start schooling him but figure it won't hurt to have activities he can do by himself or with little supervision while I work with sister. Shouldn't be too much of an issue as she works mostly independantly and has for a few years now. And the toddler likes to visit the classroom and see what's new in there! He was excited after I rearranged in there and then yesterday he was soooo happy to see the calendar.

tammy

rglrtmmy
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Yeah Blue we got our supplies and books on Monday. We don't use school computers, we have our own. She is in 5th grade this year and got three boxes.

tammy

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Quoting rglrtmmy:

Yeah Blue we got our supplies and books on Monday. We don't use school computers, we have our own. She is in 5th grade this year and got three boxes.

tammy

I've got a 2nd grader and a kindergartener.  So I've been (impatiently I admit) waiting for our supplies.  They are both excited to start (alright, I am too)!  Yesterday the UPS man went past and the boys jumped up and down and waved.  It's getting pretty comical!

You've got some better ideas for organization.  I think I'll keep the teacher's guides together on my desk instead of on their shelves.  And post the map up on the wall.  Thanks for the pics!

rglrtmmy
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Didn't you get emails with tracking numbers for your packages? If not go to your learning site and check under my info, then my order and you should see a list of oders. Click on em and you will see what was shipped with tracking numbers. click on the tracking number and ups will tell you what day they will deliver your packages!!! Or you can just keep the surprise alive. We didn't get much fun stuff this year so take pics of yours and post when you get it!!! We didn't start ohva till 4th grade so I am anxious to see what they send in the earlier grades.

I keep my teacher guides in a magazine holder on the computer desk, tho I hardly ever use them. Daughter's work books for language skills are in her magazine holder with printables and such and text books and student guides are on her bookshelf. 
They send those folding maps every year. I have very little wall space to hang large maps so I decided to hang two of the maps they sent that way each side can be displayed at the same time.  

Have you posted pics of your space? I'll go look.......

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM

What a great set up!  The kids will love learning in their school room.  : )

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Very nice!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I posted pics, but I don't remember where..... hmmm.  Give me a few minutes!

rglrtmmy
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM

LOL! I have been trying to find them too!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I posted pics, but I don't remember where..... hmmm.  Give me a few minutes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)