Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Book Suggestions About Puberty for my DD (age 10)

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 20 Replies

My DD is 10 going on 11 and I think we are knocking on the doors of womanhood.  Please tell me what books you used with your girls.  I am really good at talking to my kids about most things but this topic is really scary for me.  Please Help!!

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peggy_sue82
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

"are you there God?Its me Margret"Judy Blume is about a girl waiting for her period to start.

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
American Girl 'The Care and Keeping of You: the body book for girls'.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a great book to read. :)

Quoting peggy_sue82:

"are you there God?Its me Margret"Judy Blume is about a girl waiting for her period to start.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you had any kind of talk with your daughter about growing up?  It can be daunting at first, but then when you treat this conversation like any other, then its a little easier to do.  I had a difficult time with my oldest who is also my oldest girl. I had to have her dad start this conversation!  lol  Then, when I joined in, it wasn't as "scary" as I had initially first thought.  Now we have had a few conversations without any squimishness on my part and these conversations have helped me to start a few starter conversations with my 11 year old.  I can even talk with my 2 older boys. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave her a complete human body book and gave her the basics. Then, I said, "Read this section and I'll answer any questions."

I was so happy I did because she got her period a few months later, at 10 years old!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We've had several conversations about wearing bras and bathing correctly.  That was no problem at all.  I'm so afraid she's not emotionally ready to hear all the changes that are going to happen.  Like it will be SO shocking, she'll start hyperventilating LOL.    When I look at her I still see my little girl and I forget how big she really is getting. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Have you had any kind of talk with your daughter about growing up?  It can be daunting at first, but then when you treat this conversation like any other, then its a little easier to do.  I had a difficult time with my oldest who is also my oldest girl. I had to have her dad start this conversation!  lol  Then, when I joined in, it wasn't as "scary" as I had initially first thought.  Now we have had a few conversations without any squimishness on my part and these conversations have helped me to start a few starter conversations with my 11 year old.  I can even talk with my 2 older boys. 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
This is a great one. I remember my mom having me read that at your DD age.

Quoting peggy_sue82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I so know where you are coming from! I had the same fear.   Sometimes the best thing to do, is just bite the bullet and go for it.  My daughter was like... its a little gross but at least you are being honest and up front with me, not like some I know that can't get any kind of information from either parent.  Holy cow! I couldn't believe that that came out of her mouth.  lol  ~ I think most of us feel this way. : )

Quoting irvinehiker:

We've had several conversations about wearing bras and bathing correctly.  That was no problem at all.  I'm so afraid she's not emotionally ready to hear all the changes that are going to happen.  Like it will be SO shocking, she'll start hyperventilating LOL.    When I look at her I still see my little girl and I forget how big she really is getting. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Danielle163
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

There is The Period Book by Karen Gravelle and Debbie Palen. It really explains all the changes, inside and out, really well. My DD is 9 1/2 and she first read it about a year ago(which I actually felt was a little early, but she's always been very inquisitive about things).

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM

You are right ...I need to bite the bullet!  It's best she finds out BEFORE instead of after.  I thinks this is so hard for me b/c I have never had a good relatioship with my mom and she never bothered to tell me anything.   

Quoting kirbymom:

I so know where you are coming from! I had the same fear.   Sometimes the best thing to do, is just bite the bullet and go for it.  My daughter was like... its a little gross but at least you are being honest and up front with me, not like some I know that can't get any kind of information from either parent.  Holy cow! I couldn't believe that that came out of her mouth.  lol  ~ I think most of us feel this way. : )

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)