Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

how young is too young for homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

As I am gathering everything needed and establishing lesson plans for my son to start kindergarten; both my son and my daughter are getting excited. We start next month! But my daughter is only 2 1/2 (she turns three in Nov.). All of my planning has been focussed on kindergarten instruction. But my daughter seems to want to participate too. Should I do any pre-k lessons for her? Or just let her color the whole time? She colors or paints everyday, its her favorite thing to do. 

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Replies (11-18):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You're never too young or old to learn.  Legally a person isn't "homeschooled" until they are thought of legal school aged, so your daughter won't be legally considered homeschool for some time; however your daughter is not too young to learn.

All of my children entered Kindergarten grade reading chapter books, and knowing how to add and subtract, they were basically at a first grade level because I had taught them earlier then most children are educated.  You can start as soon as they're born through reading to them, games, songs and any other educational interaction.  Children can learn long before they are school aged their basics and often a lot more.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I am doing "tot school"  for my daughter who is around  that age. Which is NOT organzied or forced lol :) I use printables from confessionsofahomeschooler.com & 1+1+1=1. I laminate them & she LOVES to write on them. She loves to do matching stuff so i make sure i print those off. Play doh is a hit. We got an ice tube tray that we use for fine motor skills. She will put pompoms or beads in them.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I just go with the flow. Have a little something for your DD to do when she wants to 'do' school, but don't push it.

Lisa009
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM

My son is not quite three and I have been working with him on his numbers, simple math and phonics in a fun and non-pressuring way because he is so inquisitive about those things. He knows so much already and can already read a little. Just go with what they are comfortable with at young ages.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

When you home school, the whole world is a classroom.  How To Home School The Pre K

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Here is an article I wrote a few years ago..

How Young is Too Young

One of the first questions I'm asked about homeschooling, is what age did I start to teach my children. After speaking to many of the mothers I know who also home-school, they confirm also receiving this question. What eludes us, is are the people implying we've gone a single day since the birth of our children not educating them? When people see my four-year-old asking about a letter or color, they tell me he's too young for school, especially when I explain he's almost ready for the first grade. In fact, saying these parents seemed horrified, when I told them, would be an understatement.
When asking 5 people to define 'learning' they will all give you a different answer.....most people don't see educational play as real learning or schooling (which car is green? How many snacks do you have? put all the orange balls together. etc)...so when asked about learning they picture sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day.....of course No One can see a 2 y/o being able to do this with any success.

However, we home-schoolers are more flexible than that. We see learning as an every minute of the day experience. Walking through a park talking about how grass grows is a learning experience, coloring and scribbling is seen as the building blocks to learning to write. Even cleaning their room is seen as learning to group and sort - early math concepts.

What is surprising to me is, most moms don't see themselves as teachers. Saying they could never rely on themselves to teach their children. Baffling. From our child's first day of life, mom's sing and croon. We feed and cuddle. Talking to our child, reading bed-time stories. Teaching them to crawl then walk. These are all examples of us, mothers, teaching our children. So, I ask, why can't you teach them their letters when teaching them "Ma-ma" and "Da-da". Why can't we teach them basic math operations like addition and subtraction at snack time when eating - How many apple slices do you have? If you eat one subtracting it from the group, how many do you have left?

Do I think we should sit our toddlers down with a pencil and set them on logarithms? Absolutely not. But, the young mind is a sponge. They are learning absolutely every minute, so why can't we direct that learning a little bit?

Babies and toddlers use the 5 senses to learn about the world they live in. This is one of the reasons everything goes in the mouth. When they pick up a block and a parent says - look at that smooth brown block. Block starts with the letter B, then sings the alphabet while the child feels and tastes the block, then drops it to hear what sounds it makes, we are opening those mental pathways to phonics.

Even such silly past--times as 5 Little Piggies teaches them counting. I would say the rhyme in English then French and Spanish, my children could both count in all 3 languages by their second birthdays. Does this mean my children are smarter than their counterparts? No, it just means I've introduced these concepts in a more specific manner than many other parents.

My advice? Take control of your child's play. There's no need to make it less fun, but you can make it more educational.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM

My almost two year old has been wanting to do things like his sister who is going in to the 6th grade.  So I've been playing ABC's and 123's with him, along with colors and shapes.  We play as long as he wants to and I let him run around while doing it.  Everyone thinks he is so much older than he is because he wants to learn so much and talks up a storm about it.  It's going to be fun trying to keep up with him.  My daughter was a bit delayed, but has surpassed her peers in all but writing.  It's never to early as long as they are having fun.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I can tell you that a child will only learn as much as you let them.  That being said my DD learned all of her letters and sounds by 19 mos and had been trying to read for 2 years.  She finally got the hang of blending the letters just before her 4th birthday.  She is 4 and is doing very basic math....addition and subtraction.  We haven't actually started with formal instruction with her.  We have just let her do it whenever it felt right.  She will start formal instruction with our program in Janurary...this is when she starts Kindergarten.  I am excited for her b/c she flew through all of the Pre-K stuff that we got for her in just a couple of months.  I am just teaching on the fly now and working on her handwritting.  This can be fun for you child as long as you let her lead most of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)