Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you pay someone to homeschool your child?

Hello Ladies,

I am back with another question. Recently, I shared that my DH and DD pulled the plug on HS.  I am happy to report that I revisited the issue with my DH and he agreed to try HS.  There is a HS "tutor" in our neighborhood that HS middle school students in her home.  She began her "school/tutor service" after homeschooling her three children through middle school.  Prior to homeschooling, she worked as a teacher in the ps system.  She has years of teaching experience and her school has been running successfully for years now.  My mother and DH expressed that we should consider sending my DD to the "school" instead of me HS myself.  I think they are concerned that I don't have the ability to teach my DD everything she needs to learn and they are concerned about her socialization. (p.s., I am fully educated, a sahm, and I am the one that helps with all homework EVERYDAY).  Anyway, the lady charges $500 a month.  Our finances are already tight.  However, my husband said that we would find a way to make it work. I am afraid that if I don't agree to my DD going to the "school," she will have to go to ps. 

BTW, I do believe my DH and mom want me to be free to return to having a "career"since my youngest will begin kindergarten in the ps this year.  I openly asked my DH if that's what this is really about and he denied that being the case. According to him, he supports anything that I want to do...smh

Would you pay someone to home-school your child? 

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Replies (11-16):
Knightquester
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

All moms want their daughters to succeed and have the ability to work in their chosen careers, and it's hard I'm sure to watch those of us that choose to set our career goals aside in order to stay home and school our children.  My moms had to learn to accept that when I feel it's right for my family, then I will go back to work on my own given time.  I'm sure no matter what you choose your mom in time will learn to accept it.

As for paying another person to homeschool... I would pay for a tutor in a given area if I had issues with teaching my child that subject, if my child expressed an interest in taking their class and wanted to explore further in that subject, or if I just couldn't teach due to illness, the need to work or some other reason.

I would however not waste money that could be used elsewhere if I could do the work myself.  So when it comes to teaching I thankfully so far have not had issues with teaching what my children (even high school level material) so I've not needed to hire any help.  In your case I would start out homeschooling and if you see there's issues consider the tutor as a backup person to send your daughter to.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I might.  If she only had a few kids and it didnt cost $500 a month.  If I wanted to go back to work I might.  I am getting my early childhood education degree and I sort of want to do something like this lady is doing.  I want to do a cheap small room class room specializing in children that are ahead or considered problem children for preschool or kindergarten.  I love teaching. I dont want to be part of the public school system so for these two grades maybe I could help.  I plan on going on for my masters in educating gifted children.

I woud depending in a few years what my girls want to do still home school my children but I would be willing and able to do this also.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Not for 500 a month. I could easily homeschool for a year on one months tuition. If the price was right though and I just couldn't do it then I would consider.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

In your situation, no.

I may do it, if it became necessary.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Probably not, unless something came up I just haven't thought of at this time. I would teach other kids though, in fact I will be. The little girl I watch will be starting kindergarten this year, her Mom works a late shift as does my DH. Once she heard I was going to keep DS home for school this year she asked if I'd do the same for her daughter. I agreed, with the same pay rate as we had when I was just babysitting. We've been doing some "pretend" school, a couple of hours a day. We can connect my computer to our TV so I have shown them videos about Lewis and Clark (DS requested it) and Beavers. They do spelling and some math. We will see how "real" school goes in September.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM
If I had to work for some reason or could not do it myself, I would consider paying someone. If I was home and could do it myself I would definitely do it myself. I'd just talk to your husband and ask him what exactly he thinks you are unable to handle. Many of the curriculums are scripted, meaning they will tell you exactly what to say to teach the subject/lesson. Maybe agree to try it for a certain period of time and see how it goes. I agree though, no one has a say in my kids education but me and my husband. I'm sorry they are questioning your ability. You can definitely do this :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN