Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

no longer the minority?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM
  • 27 Replies
I homeschooled from 5th grade until graduation. Finding other homeschoolers was hard and they were few and far between! Groups were almost non exhistant..and the comments, looks and questions from the outside world were almost endless.

Fast forward a little more than 10 years..I have kids of my own who are homeschooling. It is no longer the weird thing to do, it is common, heard of, and a LOT of people do it. My brother lives next door, they homeschool their 6 girls. Most of my friends and some of my relatives do as well. It is not uncommon to run into random homeschoolers at, gymnastics, walmart, basketball etc.

I didn't realize how common place homeschooling had become until about two months ago, I took my kids to see my cousin. Her daughter is in kindergarten in public school. I over heard my dd(4) and my cousins daughter talking. They were discussing school. Cousins daughter said who her teacher was and that she rode the bus. My dd's eyes got as big as saucers and her mouth fell open. Haha she goes ' you go to PUBLIC school!' Hehe 'I've never known anyone who went to PUBLIC school.
She couldn't stop talking about it the entire way home. She (to her knowledge) had never met a public school kid before.
It was similar to the reactions I used to get over being homeschooled vs. Public school.
Time are definitely changing..and thankfully it seems, for the better.

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It is nice to know that parents are starting to see that the PS is not the best place for their children to learn!

britniwheeler
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM

LOL That is adorable. I love that it is becoming more accepted. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I think it depends on where you are. I am homeschooling in the midwest. When someone asks me where I am enrolling hte boys at and I say that I am homeschooling; I am looked at like I have 3 heads. I have had people argue and argue with me about how real school is better. Hopefully as a whole homeschool starts to become more standard but right now, at least here, it isn't.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I also am surprised how common it is around here. I never knew a single homeschooler, until I started homeschooling my daughter. Then it was like they were everywhere! Lol! We even have the Midwest homeschool convention in the next city, which is huge, and I had never heard of it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Lol, my kids are the same, like no one is different than we are...lol...but I think it's great, no worries about being isolated due to our educational choices.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I agree...it depends where you are.  I'm in the midwest too and people look at me like I'm completely nuts!  I'm always having to answer a hundred ?'s.  The one I hear the most is "WHY!!???  would you do THAT!"  We only know a handful of local families that hs.  The majority of my kids friends are in ps. 

Quoting chotovec82:

I think it depends on where you are. I am homeschooling in the midwest. When someone asks me where I am enrolling hte boys at and I say that I am homeschooling; I am looked at like I have 3 heads. I have had people argue and argue with me about how real school is better. Hopefully as a whole homeschool starts to become more standard but right now, at least here, it isn't.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I agree that it depends.  We have a few families in our church doing it, thankfully, but we still get looks like "wth is that?"  Some in my family were quite adamant that it was illegal not to send your kids to a school. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I'm also in the midwest (IN) and it's pretty common here. Perhaps it depends on your town/city, how popular it is. Our next-door neighbors homeschool their son, and in our church (of about 300 people) there are 3 other families besides ours who homeschool. We go to a co-op with about 70 other families, and there are 2 other co-ops locally that we are not a part of. The cashier at the food co-op homeschools her kids, and we do Homeschool Science Club at the children's museum. So yeah... it's definitely not equal in # to the ones who do other school, but it's not freakish by any means either.

pixydustmommy
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I was homeschooled also, and homeschool my kids, also. I've noticed that it is more common now then when I was a kid (graduated in 94). It's not common here, I only know one other homeschooler, but we will be joining a co-op in the fall, but most everyone "knows someone" or "has a cousin" or whatever who homeschools. We also don't get grilled when I take the kids to the library in the middle of a school day, that is nice!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

It has changed much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)