Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I homeschooled from 5th grade until graduation. Finding other homeschoolers was hard and they were few and far between! Groups were almost non exhistant..and the comments, looks and questions from the outside world were almost endless.

Fast forward a little more than 10 years..I have kids of my own who are homeschooling. It is no longer the weird thing to do, it is common, heard of, and a LOT of people do it. My brother lives next door, they homeschool their 6 girls. Most of my friends and some of my relatives do as well. It is not uncommon to run into random homeschoolers at, gymnastics, walmart, basketball etc.

I didn't realize how common place homeschooling had become until about two months ago, I took my kids to see my cousin. Her daughter is in kindergarten in public school. I over heard my dd(4) and my cousins daughter talking. They were discussing school. Cousins daughter said who her teacher was and that she rode the bus. My dd's eyes got as big as saucers and her mouth fell open. Haha she goes ' you go to PUBLIC school!' Hehe 'I've never known anyone who went to PUBLIC school.
She couldn't stop talking about it the entire way home. She (to her knowledge) had never met a public school kid before.
It was similar to the reactions I used to get over being homeschooled vs. Public school.
Time are definitely changing..and thankfully it seems, for the better.

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Replies (21-27):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I live outside of Columbus and there is a huge homeschool population around the city. It's not common but it's not uncommon, at least.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM

HOLY MOLY  Batman!  lol   

1983 huh?   How did it get started, if you don't mind my asking? 

Quoting oredeb:

i started in 1983, we even had a homeschool group in our area(sw oregon) , the only one for miles around! there was probably around 60 of us that would come from all around the farthest at least 40 miles away. in our town people were amazed that there was another type of schooling besides public and private! they always wanted to know all about it.

as you said fast forward today, theres so many, so many that homeschool over here, i think half our state does! and curriculum theres so much available now, back then there was only abeka and bju! and no internet. thank the lord for libraries! hahahaha 

down our street here there about 6 families with kids, and none of them go to public schools! either private or homeschool,

so much has changed since 1983 with homeschooling.

YES IT HAS!  : )

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

It is way more common then when I was  homeschooled as a child.  I do think it depends on where you live geographically, some areas are more  homeschool heavy then other areas.  I was  homeschooled in the Midwest and the support there was horrible, the community was next to not heard of back then.  I homeschool my children on the west coast and so many people do it, there's so many homeschool groups that grow and form every year and there are so many options for homeschoolers, it's amazing the difference.

oredeb
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

hi sonja!!

there was a greg harris conference coming to our small town for homeschooling, i heard about it at our church and my kids were almost ready for public school but i wasnt going to send them(decided that when i was 13), so i scounged up enough money to buy a ticken and went, so off of that our homeschool group got started, a public school english teacher started it all, got us all together and it took off, i was the unoffical librarian, where moms could borrow books but they had to bring them back in a timely manner.

Quoting kirbymom:

HOLY MOLY  Batman!  lol   

1983 huh?   How did it get started, if you don't mind my asking? 

Quoting oredeb:

i started in 1983, we even had a homeschool group in our area(sw oregon) , the only one for miles around! there was probably around 60 of us that would come from all around the farthest at least 40 miles away. in our town people were amazed that there was another type of schooling besides public and private! they always wanted to know all about it.

as you said fast forward today, theres so many, so many that homeschool over here, i think half our state does! and curriculum theres so much available now, back then there was only abeka and bju! and no internet. thank the lord for libraries! hahahaha 

down our street here there about 6 families with kids, and none of them go to public schools! either private or homeschool,

so much has changed since 1983 with homeschooling.

YES IT HAS!  : )

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I also love that it's becoming more common..I also have 6 daughters...When my eldest was in Kinder she HAtED going..I mean she would cry and make herself literally sick...In the 4th grade she still hated school..But EVERYONE sent their kid to school..Bree was tested extensively and the principal,teacher,therapist sat down and they said Bree would benefit from homeschooling..She has school phobia...Yes, that's IN her records...Brian was resistant to the idea of homeschooling but in the 7th grade he conceded and we began our adventure..She ended up not wanting to learn at home either..And it wasn't pleasant for us..But we got through it..Then my 2nd 3rd and 4th daughter's were failing at homeschooling..So I said Fine, your gonna fail in public school..Needless to say, they are THRIVING in public school...My 5th and 6th daughter's WANT to homeschool..Valerie is having a hard time learning to read..Just heard of starfall so we'll give that a try...And Sarah is excited to "be" in school... 

ablessedlife
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM
That is great! Thanks for sharing.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Quoting lil_mama06:

I also love that it's becoming more common..I also have 6 daughters...When my eldest was in Kinder she HAtED going..I mean she would cry and make herself literally sick...In the 4th grade she still hated school..But EVERYONE sent their kid to school..Bree was tested extensively and the principal,teacher,therapist sat down and they said Bree would benefit from homeschooling..She has school phobia...Yes, that's IN her records...Brian was resistant to the idea of homeschooling but in the 7th grade he conceded and we began our adventure..She ended up not wanting to learn at home either..And it wasn't pleasant for us..But we got through it..Then my 2nd 3rd and 4th daughter's were failing at homeschooling..So I said Fine, your gonna fail in public school..Needless to say, they are THRIVING in public school...My 5th and 6th daughter's WANT to homeschool..Valerie is having a hard time learning to read..Just heard of starfall so we'll give that a try...And Sarah is excited to "be" in school... 

Have you tried 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons'? My son was really having a lot of trouble and once we got this book it made an amazing difference for him. He was sitting upstairs before bed last night reading me a Dr Seuss books ;o)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)