Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OK I know this sounds ridiculous...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 23 Replies

but what would you do with a one year old for home schooling? Our older boys are home schooled and we plan to start our 19 month old this year as well. Now, sounds ridiculous, but really we will just be sitting her down for 5 to 10 minute increments with her brothers. Other than the alphabet and numbers what would you start on?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Sensory bags!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Coloring or other things to work on motor control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Stacking blocks, colors, shapes, song the abc's, count everything. Obviously she is super young, but we always start from birth with the learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I used to put mine in our high chair that has a desk.  They would finger paint with colored pudding or yogurt and play with bread dough.  That way even if they eat it, it is not a concern.  I was worried about them playing with their food, but that's a fight with toddlers anyway, so why fight it until they get older.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Wooden puzzles with big chunky knobs were always a favorite with my kids.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM
I actually did 2 things- 1) I tried to do quiet school during nap time, nursing, baby wearing, etc. but I also included my baby in school -

I once wrote an article about educating infants and toddlers - http://voices.yahoo.com/how-young-too-young--1541795.html

I also blogged my scope & sequence for one in pre-preschool http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Pre-preschool

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Make is Play time, and How To Home School The Pre K ("When you home school, the whole world is the classroom.")

oredeb
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

well i can tell you what i did with my 1 yrs olds, they were all walking so they hung out where ever we were learning, either playing with something, sitting with me(esspecally when i was reading) scribbling on very large paper, even sitting on one of the olders kids lap while i was teaching someone something, in the play pen at times(i dont think they have those things anymore!) i always had a certain plaything that i would give them when i needed to teach one on one with some one, they could only play with it then, they would play with blocks, i taught them songs, roll the ball so they could go grab it and bring back, crawling in and out of boxes, (a box could entertain my kids for days!hahah, we'd look at things and i'd tell them what it was and the color, they'd hammer things with those plastic ones at first,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

LOL This is what I do.

OH and we have play pens but they are called Pack N Plays now. 8)

Quoting oredeb:

well i can tell you what i did with my 1 yrs olds, they were all walking so they hung out where ever we were learning, either playing with something, sitting with me(esspecally when i was reading) scribbling on very large paper, even sitting on one of the olders kids lap while i was teaching someone something, in the play pen at times(i dont think they have those things anymore!) i always had a certain plaything that i would give them when i needed to teach one on one with some one, they could only play with it then, they would play with blocks, i taught them songs, roll the ball so they could go grab it and bring back, crawling in and out of boxes, (a box could entertain my kids for days!hahah, we'd look at things and i'd tell them what it was and the color, they'd hammer things with those plastic ones at first,

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

You have heard from others everything I have done with my younger kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)