Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A little vent...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM
  • 4 Replies

Today is one of those days where my 9 year old is just not cooperating! Normally I would just put the books away for the day but I have been doing that for the last four days and it's not something I want him to get in the habit of. He played a few math games of his choice this morning for about 10 minutes. Then I gave him a worksheet with 5 problems on it. I got out the dry erase board so we could do a quick introduction of prime numbers and that's when it began. As soon as I drew a division sign on the board he started complaining. I put it away and told him to take a small 10 minute break to regain his composure. He went into the living room and started moving the sofa around. I told him to stop. Although he wasn't being destructive and our sofa slides easily across the floor (we have an open floor plan and our sofa doesn't rest against the wall) I told him to stop because honestly, I fix that sofa all day, I didn't want him purposely moving it. He started complaining that there was nothing to do. I asked him if he wanted to talk about what was bothering him and he did. He told me he didn't think his break was long enough. I told him that maybe he should try spending the little time he does have more productively instead of complaining the whole time.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else have sometimes difficult kids and if so how do you handle it?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

As soon as mine complains that they are bored or have nothing to do I have a list of chores for them to do.  Haven't heard it in a long while *Sigh*

We are big on timers and our big saying is "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

But sometimes they are still difficult.  Sorry.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

My 6 year old is like this when she has bad days.  I make her go rest in her room and then she feels better, its up to her, she can come back and do school.  Good luck.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
We say that too! And I also offer up chores for boredom ;) nothing to do? Here is a dust rag.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

As soon as mine complains that they are bored or have nothing to do I have a list of chores for them to do.  Haven't heard it in a long while *Sigh*

We are big on timers and our big saying is "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

But sometimes they are still difficult.  Sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

hahah mine probably wont help you but i find a spanking on the butt works wonders tp  clearing their heads and enlighten them!!

or they get to go pull weeds out in the garden, one of these always works everytime  when its their stubbornness thats making them do this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN