Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool laws- What do you have to do each year to fulfill yours?

Posted by   + Show Post

what is your state law?

what do you do each year to fulfill yours?

what state are you in?

maybe this might help some new moms who are wondering!!!

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Replies (81-87):
lifesadream83
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

We move so often because of the military... LOL.. so this is our second state we have homeschooled in North Carolina.  They required us to file a notice of intent via the internet directly to the state.  (they request you update your status yearly but it is not required).  You are required to keep a personal record of immunizations on hand for 2 years.  You are also required to keep a record of attendence and have the students standardized tested yearly in Math, Reading/Language Arts.  When the results of the tests come in you submit those and the attendence record annually via mail and thats it.  They can drop by  and request to view those inspectable items but you are not required to let them into your home they are supposed to wait outside.  

oredeb
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Quoting lifesadream83:

We move so often because of the military... LOL.. so this is our second state we have homeschooled in North Carolina.  They required us to file a notice of intent via the internet directly to the state.  (they request you update your status yearly but it is not required).  You are required to keep a personal record of immunizations on hand for 2 years.  You are also required to keep a record of attendence and have the students standardized tested yearly in Math, Reading/Language Arts.  When the results of the tests come in you submit those and the attendence record annually via mail and thats it.  They can drop by  and request to view those inspectable items but you are not required to let them into your home they are supposed to wait outside.  

wow thats a lot of stuff! they can stop by!!! i wonder how many homes they've stopped by?

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I am in Alabama:

We have to let our local board know that we are HS.  We can either hire a private tutor (I believe they have to be certified teacher) or we can HS under an umbrella school/church.  Then, we are just bound by their rules.

The umbrella church we use requires us to school 175 days per year.  At the beginning of the year we have to give them our tentative calendar and subjects we plan on taking.  At Christmas we send in a calendar of the actual days schooled and then we do this again at the end of the year.  We don't have to send in grades or anything unless questions are asked.

It is fairly simple in our state.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I'm not real sure what all they are supposed to do as I don't do it. lol

MeddleDeal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thanks! i just really want to be sure b/c I know in CA, they changed the ages that kids are allowed to be in Kindergarten.  If they turn 6 before Dec. 2nd, then they are considered Kindergarten age. I don't even know if we would still have to file or not. :/

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I'm in TN and am apart of Home Life Academy. All I have to do is let them know what I plan to use for curriculum and submit my grades twice a yr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginene
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM
What's the name of the program you're using? I just started looking online for programs. I'm in Maryland too.

Quoting plclemo:

Maryland - file notice with the local school board and then have a periodic home-check by a homeschooling oversight coordinator - In our case it is our church's homeschoool oversight program.  He will be here 2 times during the year (on schedule) and once unannounced (well, sort of "unannounced" he will call an hour or so ahead to make sure we are home).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN