Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2012 Summer Olympics

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
Each Olympic games I make a large poster with all the Countries participating. Then as the games go on we lark how many medals each countries win. Basically it's just a chart. But here are some great websites I found

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/london-olympics-participating-countries-2012.html
http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/Countries-Participating-In-The-2012-Olympic-Games-In-London.htm
http://2012-london-olympics-news.com/34/participating-nations-in-2012-london-summer-olympics/

Can't wait till opening ceremonies on Friday night!!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'm so bummed I can't watch them! I was really looking forward to it!

pixydustmommy
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

We can't watch either, but I think we might do this anyway (I can get the medal count online). Great idea!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I'm so annoyed.... we have a girl scout overnighter and I would MUCH rather be home watching the Opening ceremonies! Wahhh....

We will do some study on it as well but nothing super formal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof030404
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

We are doing an entire on 14 countries we picked that are participating. Have been gearing up for weeks creating flags and leasrning facts! I have each day planned where we will eat a meal from the country and watch the games! We are having an openig ceremony party Friday night!! Cant WAIT!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM
I can't believe baseball & softball won't be a part of the Olympics this year...it doesn't seem like softball was in that many of them, I thought it was only added since the new melenium..

You can see a list of the sports included in this Olympic Games at www.London2012.com/sports
NiniAndTheBoys
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM
We are taking our opportunity again to learn as much as we can about the sports, countries, and the Olympics. I did a unit study 4 years ago too. I asked the big boys if they wanted to do one again, and they jumped at the chance. So they must have enjoyed it!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Quoting NiniAndTheBoys:

We are taking our opportunity again to learn as much as we can about the sports, countries, and the Olympics. I did a unit study 4 years ago too. I asked the big boys if they wanted to do one again, and they jumped at the chance. So they must have enjoyed it!

Yes, my boys seem to feed off of my enthusiasm. We always make a huge deal out of the Olympics, from recipes, to learning about the athletes and countries participating. We even study the town/country that is the host of the Olympics and the history of the games.

This year is being called 'The Year of the Woman' since it is the first year that very single country is sending a woman to compete and there are more female athletes than the are men!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM

We got some olympic stuff from Currclick.com that we are working on.  Ds is looking forward to the fencing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I loved watching the Olympics when I was younger. I have tried on multiple occasions to get anyor all of my kids into watching as well, but you know, they just can't take it. They say its so boring! of course I tell them how nuts they are but they just laugh and tell me I'm old.  lol   So we never watch it now.  So sad.  : (

momof030404
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting NiniAndTheBoys:

Yes, my boys seem to feed off of my enthusiasm. We always make a huge deal out of the Olympics, from recipes, to learning about the athletes and countries participating. We even study the town/country that is the host of the Olympics and the history of the games.

This year is being called 'The Year of the Woman' since it is the first year that very single country is sending a woman to compete and there are more female athletes than the are men!

I had no idea! I am going to do a little more research on this!! Do you have any links on this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN