Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you noticed little girls' clothing that looks too sexy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Moms Aren't to Blame When Their Daughters Wear Sexy Clothes

Posted by Adriana Velez on July 23, 2012 

little girl dressAre your daughter's clothes too sexy? A new study shows that about 30 percent of girls' clothing, even for toddlers, is sexualizing. Social psychologist Sarah Murnen asked independent adults to review clothing for girls from 15 major retailers and rate how sexualizing they found it. Whether it was because of slinky, lingerie-like fabric or a cut that emphasized a girl's chest, nearly a third of those clothes read as "sexy" to the adult raters. Even when the outfit included childish details like ruffles and polka-dots!

Not a big deal? I guess not, as long as you think eating disorders, low self-esteem, or depression aren't a big deal, either. But I think most of us want to raise strong, healthy daughters.

Girls who buy into sexualizing messages about themselves tend to have lower self-esteem and are more likely to suffer from depression and eating disorders (this according to a 2007 task force of the American Psychological Association). The clothes girls wear can play a big role in how sexualized they feel -- and from a very young age. So if this study is anything to go by, parents should buy more of their kids' clothes at Target and Gymboree and stay the hell out of Abercrombie Kids. (You're shocked by that last one, right? Eyeroll.)

But wait -- Murnen says we shouldn't be so quick to blame parents about this. Channel your outrage toward the marketers of girls' clothing, instead. "Blaming the parents is exactly what the marketers want you to do," she said. "They spend $12 billion getting your kids to want the things you don't want them to have, and then they blame you for buying them."

Yeah, and we love that game! When people scold parents and ask, "Is it really so hard just to make better shopping choices?" I always want to reply, "Is it really so hard to just make BETTER STUFF?!?" Because what goes through a clothing designer's head when they put "hot stuff" in sexy script on a toddler's dress? Making their mortgage payments, I guess, but I still think it sucks. Our girls deserve better than this.

Have you noticed little girls' clothing that looks too sexy?

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
Crowsnest5
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I agree, clothing is getting out of hand. I wait for Lands End to have a deep discount and coupon code / percentage off and free shipping , they have some modest clothing on there for girls.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Quoting Precious333:

btw, I think its true that girls will want to look up to their mommies, and dress like them. So, I also try and be cautious of what I wear (like I said I on;y have boys, but Ithink its good for me to dress that way with them as well).

I agree! Kids do look at their parents as an indicator. I have boys so never really had to think about 'sexiness' of kids clothes. But last semester at co-op I taught a videography class where the kids collaborated and made their own music video. On the day of filming one 12 y/o changed into a pair of (and I'm quoting here) "booty shorts" they were extremely short and tight bike kind of shorts. My youngest was so embarassed (he's 8). He has a bit of a crush on this girl, but as soon as she walked in he pulled me aside and asked why she was allowed to be in school "in her underwear" lol. He's never seen me wear such a revealing pair of shorts so immediately assumed it was inappropriate, even though we've never discussed modesty or anything like that...lol...
LittleBirdFly
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Moms Aren't to Blame When Their Daughters Wear Sexy Clothes

I dont agree with that statement. Because I still can choose what I buy and put on my child. But I see to many little girls in terrible clothes its not even funny anymore. I think its dusgusting if I see a little girl in sexy clothes. Sorry but I just dont understand why some parents think its ok or even cute

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

ok so as the mom if i buy the clothes it is my fault, if someone else buys the clothes (gift) and i dont return it or i let her wear it it is my fault. my daughter is one and i love making her clothes. they last longer and they are modest.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Precious333:

btw, I think its true that girls will want to look up to their mommies, and dress like them. So, I also try and be cautious of what I wear (like I said I on;y have boys, but Ithink its good for me to dress that way with them as well).

I agree! Kids do look at their parents as an indicator. I have boys so never really had to think about 'sexiness' of kids clothes. But last semester at co-op I taught a videography class where the kids collaborated and made their own music video. On the day of filming one 12 y/o changed into a pair of (and I'm quoting here) "booty shorts" they were extremely short and tight bike kind of shorts. My youngest was so embarassed (he's 8). He has a bit of a crush on this girl, but as soon as she walked in he pulled me aside and asked why she was allowed to be in school "in her underwear" lol. He's never seen me wear such a revealing pair of shorts so immediately assumed it was inappropriate, even though we've never discussed modesty or anything like that...lol...

I don't know if sexiness is the right word, but my boys are not allowed to wear those fall off the butt pants that many boys in this area like.  Their underwear are not to be seen.  And they are not allowed the tank tops with the giant arm holes that show the whole side.

Jeremmy
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Clothing manufacturers make clothes like that because it sells. So yes, it is the parents fault. They either dont monitor what their kids are wearing, dont care or buy it themselves. Its sad. I was just thinking that as I looked at a pair of super short shorts for a 2 year old and a triangle bikini for the same age. Now, I dont put a 2 piece on my daughter at all, but there just seems something extra innapropriate about a triangle bikini with a skimpy bottom.

A_McCool
by Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Yeah, it is absolutely terrible.  I don't really have any trouble with my girls right now.  They are 2 and 5, and it really isn't hard to find appropriate item.  For instance, those super tight T shirts can just be bought in a bigger size so that they fit appropriately.  They mostly wear bermuda style shorts which are easy enough to find.  Their swimsuits are those UPF rated things that are basically a shirt and shorts.      

My grandmother still buys stuff that I won't wear.  Apparently, my grandmother thinks that if a shirt doesn't show your boobs then no one should wear it.  And I remember having daily clothing fights with my mother growing up because I wanted to wear jeans and baggy Tshirts, basically boys' clothes.  She hated it.  I remember in 5th grade she bought me a baby doll style T shirt, and I freaked out and wouldn't wear it.  It was a daily fight until I got married and moved out at 19. I do wear that type of T shirt now, but it is rare to catch me in anything other than a Tshirt and jeans or long shorts and DC sneakers.  When I turned around 13 she started fighting me on wearing makeup.  I mean seriously you would think that I look terrible the way that woman harrassed me about needing to wear makeup.  I still don't wear the crap.  I hate it.  She, also, hates my current haircut.  Some people cannot be pleased.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Precious333:

way to go mama! :)

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that clothing has been to suggestive for to long.  We are very careful about what we let our girls wear.  When my niece came back to us 3 mos ago (this time permanent) I went through her clothes and got rid of the slinky shorts that were to short with leather ties running up the side (on a 6 yo--disgusted me), and her really tight jean dress that showed more than what is acceptable in my mind.  My MIL buys most of the clothes for these girls and is VERY VERY careful about what she picks out b/c she is just as modest as we are when it comes to these things.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

BTW I put my foot down with my niece last August when she lived with us for 3 mos b/c I was picking out her clothes and not her.  I needed her to understand what modesty was before she would be allowed to start selecting her own clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)