Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hit a road block

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 18 Replies
So I decided this will be the weekend I set up the classroom and I have hit a major road block. I have so many ideas in my head but when I look at the space it is like nothing is good enough. Sorry just needed to vent a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

We have one of our 2 desks up.  The t.v. and DVD player are not up yet.  No computer this year.  She was playing with it to much last year and distracted herslef.  I have most of the books put on the shelf and binders organzied.  I have the school supplies in a bin, but not labled for each child yet.  I have a month to get there.  I hope you get there soon.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Just look at it this way.

Any place you have is better by far than the best place a B&M school has. LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Q: How do I start homeschooling?

Rethink Your Concept of Schooling

Homeschooling a child who has been in regular school may seem like an extended summer vacation; in some ways it is. Too much of "regular" school time is spent on nonacademic activities. Now your can devote 100% of his study time to cover in only two to three hours per day what would take at least a full day of "regular" school.

Ask Your Child's Opinion - Ask what she wants to know, not just what she wants to learn. What puzzles her? Combine academics and real-life knowledge. Let kids pick their "electives" - things that they want to know about, not just subjects that you think you are supposed to teach.

This is just a little bit to help you set your mind to something. I hope it works.  :)

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM

We are starting in a couple of weeks.  I have most of our school supplies, books, and decorations.  We will hang the decoration the week before we start.

kajira
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM

We don't have an organized space.

^.^ I'm still sorting out how I want to do things. LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quoting kajira:

Sometimes, its best to not have one. That way you find out if you really do need to have a "place" to school or if doing your own thing works just as much.  We didn't start out with a specific place and found out after awhile that we did need a specific place to do our schooling in.  lol  But, since its a work in progress, we did just fine anyway. : )

kajira
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM

my son and I are both autistic. Stuff has to have a place or neither of us will be able to focus. I'm just still figuring out what that's going to look like. I move slower figuring stuff out and where/how I want things. LOL

If things aren't fairly organized, my son won't focus on his work either because he'll fixate on organizing/fixing everything in his environment. hehehe 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kajira:

Sometimes, its best to not have one. That way you find out if you really do need to have a "place" to school or if doing your own thing works just as much.  We didn't start out with a specific place and found out after awhile that we did need a specific place to do our schooling in.  lol  But, since its a work in progress, we did just fine anyway. : )

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I am exactly like that!  It drives me nuts if I sit down at my desk and its a mess or something is out of place. In fact, I feel this way about everything.  I will stop whatever I am doing just to get things back into place and clean up the mess. And for me, if something is out of place, it is a mess! 

Well, I hope you get everything organized the way you want it.  : )

Quoting kajira:

my son and I are both autistic. Stuff has to have a place or neither of us will be able to focus. I'm just still figuring out what that's going to look like. I move slower figuring stuff out and where/how I want things. LOL

If things aren't fairly organized, my son won't focus on his work either because he'll fixate on organizing/fixing everything in his environment. hehehe 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kajira:

oredeb
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

awwwww, just start with what you have, you can always twick it, change it!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I am just like this!  EVERYTHING has to be in a place.  I can't stand seeing ANY  kind of clutter.  If I can't see it I'm OK with it, so I tend to stuff everthing in drawers or closets weather it actually goes there or not.

Quoting kirbymom:

I am exactly like that!  It drives me nuts if I sit down at my desk and its a mess or something is out of place. In fact, I feel this way about everything.  I will stop whatever I am doing just to get things back into place and clean up the mess. And for me, if something is out of place, it is a mess! 

Well, I hope you get everything organized the way you want it.  : )

Quoting kajira:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN