Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Learning? So lost...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have no idea what my son should know at this age. He's 20 months. He can count to five, though he doesn't recognise the written letters. He speaks well for his age, and can stack and sort and such. But what is he supposed to know? For example, when I go to the drs, sometimes they ask things like "Can he do XYZ" and I didn't even know I was supposed to be teaching him that yet. Also, are there any secular preschool programs out there for free or cheap? The only ones I can find are riddled with bible stuff, and we're wiccan so that doesn't work too well.

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Replies (11-15):
kajira
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

my autistic child was super advanced for his age... while my NT daughter is hitting milestones, but doesn't count or do ABC's yet - she's 20 months in a few days...

She sings, dances, says words... but i'm not in a big rush to make her learn faster than she needs too. I've never quite understand pushing them to learn super fast at this age, statistically most kids are all around the same by age 8, even if they were reading at 3, and another didn't read until 6.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Then have fun.  Alphabet play and counting things like steps.  We counted steps, sang our alphabet, learned songs that had movement like twinkle, twinkle and teddy bear, teddy bear.

Quoting kit_manson:

I meant homeschool type things, for me to do with him. I guess program was the wrong word, lol.

Quoting debramommyof4:

If you want to know milestones, which is what the doctors are asking here is a website

http://www.parenting.com/article/toddler-developmental-milestones

As for what to teach play fun games watch educational preschool tv or videos.  Have fun.  follow what he is interested in.

You may look into headstart for free or secular preschools they ussually have a mommy and me option for that age group or a childcare option.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Try these websites

Abcmouse.com (paid)
Letteroftheweek.com (free curric)
Abcjesuslovesme.com (free curric)
Check out before five in a row (book) for ideas
Google free toddler curriculum, lots of ideas will come up

But mainly, learning through play is the best. Focus on shapes, colors, counting, abc's reading books, spending time on the floor playing, puzzles,play doh, sand, water, climbing,pretend play, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Are any of those non-christian?

Quoting Boobah:

Try these websites

Abcmouse.com (paid)

But mainly, learning through play is the best. Focus on shapes, colors, counting, abc's reading books, spending time on the floor playing, puzzles,play doh, sand, water, climbing,pretend play, etc.

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM

abcmouse.com is secular. 

pbskids.org

starfall.com

sparkschool.com

these are all secular

Quoting kit_manson:

Are any of those non-christian?

Quoting Boobah:

Try these websites

Abcmouse.com (paid)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)