Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science for kindergarten?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

what to do?? i can't decide what we should do for science. open to ideas :)

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.N._Guin
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Interested in ideas as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy242012
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Me too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM
We did the butterfly garden this summer and are getting a tadpole in November. Check out science activities on amazon, also the butterfly garden came from insect lore.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

i am trying to plan out my year for K so i don't really have to  think much about it later & i can just work on my list till we are done or need something new.

so far i have :

life cycle of frogs (we have some tadpoles on the bar staring at us)

eco systems

mrs.musquiz
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We are focussing on three areas in science for Kindergarten. Physical Science (forces of motion, properties and change), Earth Science (daily weather changes and seasons), and Life Science (identifying living and non-living things ). Some other projects I'm going to incorperate are frog life cycles, plant life cycles, and the Human body (all about me). I think we will be collecting his projects and worksheets and making lapbooks out of them for review too!

Danielle163
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is  what Rupp's book lists for Kindergarten for Science:

Physical Science--Be able to sort objects into groups according to physical characteristics. Kids should be able to classify objects by a range of basic physical properties. Which are light and which are heavy? Which float and which sinks? Which are hot and which are cold?

Experiment with magnets. Classify objects according to whether or not they are attracted by magnets.

Experiment with light and shadow.

Life Science--Be able to discuss differences between living and nonliving things.

Become familiar with plants: beginning botany.

Become familiar with animals: beginning zoology.

The human body: Know the five senses and their associated body parts.

Earth/Space Science-Be able to describe the basic composition of the earth.

Know the names and features of the four seasons.

Be familiar with different types of weather.

She expands out on all of these and gives suggestions on activities, book titles,....I just put the main headings under the specific type of Science.  These are just guidelines to go by and really, whatever you do will be more than what the ps is doing for science for K. I asked DD (who was in ps for K.) if she remembered any science that they had done (because I don't remember seeing anything brought home or her saying anything) and she said they didn't study science.LOL

So, you could either piece it together yourself or buy a science curriculum. I went over to RRC and they do have Elemental Science for the very lower grades. They have Exploring Science PK-K and Intro to Science K-1.They are both $28.00 for the student guide + teacher's guide. I've used ES for 3rd grade and we will be using it again for 4th.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
This is what we have planned:

Observing the phases of the Moon
The life cycle of a plant
Animal Tracks
Cloud Formations
Animal Behavior
Hibernation
Arctic and Antarctic
Growing an indoor plant
Pond Life
Forest Life
Bird activity
Vegetable garden

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntlMom12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

We are doing the butterfly garden and an ant hill.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We played with flashlights, mirrors, "gels," prisms, magnets, made water cycle observations with an empty pop bottle, made a tree book with leaves we gathered, plant life cycles, animal life cycles and classifications, we made an outline of the boys and put body parts in and discussed what they did (bones, stomac, heart, lungs, veins, arteries, brain, eyes, teeth, etc), played with rocks and classifed them, habitats and the animals that live there, the ocean and its habitts and whatlives there,  ice water and steam, and measurements (length, weight, temp, volume)

Did I mention we love science?

oredeb
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

we do nature study, we go outside, with our jars, pads, and pencils, magnifing glasses, we go on a bug hunt! i show kids pictures of the bugs we want to find, its like a scavenger bug hunt!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)