Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
This is a question regarding all of you wonderful moms.
I have a few friends who homeschool and during the 'school year' they restrict their personal (for fun) reading and other hoddies/crafts.

I personally hung up my sewing projects for a while, just because of space. I will pull it all out again eventually. But I don't really restrict my own personal reading. I understand these moms are doing it so they wont get sucked into a book.(goodness knows I have gotten sucked in and hardly come up for air ,when they were much younger, upon occasion) but isn't it good for our kids to see us enjoying reading/hobbies? That is a creative and constructive and that we practice what we preach?

I have one friend who restricts all personal reading during the 'school year'. Which frankly would not work at my house, we are starting to school year round and I would never get anything read. LolI also know another gal who only allows herself to read on the weekends.

I personally, so long as my 'chores' are caught up and the toddler is napping, try to read a little everyday during quiet time. Which is actually the time everyday that I require the rest of the kids to be in their room or somewhere else comfy with a book or two or ten. Lol we are book poor around here. ;o)

Just curious what you all do?
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Replies (21-24):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think it is silly to do that! 

pixydustmommy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it is healthy to resrict things like reading! I feel like my kids need to see my husband and I reading, they need to understand that you can fall into a book and forget to come out (because reading is that great!).

Crafts are limited to things that are small in size or quick, because I haven't found  place to set up a space for myself in this house (we've been here 1.5 years), we need to reorganize our bedroom and then maybe I can make some room for it.

RealWorldSchool
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

In addition, just thinking as a mom who homeschools and has little 'self' time...you need those things that refresh/restore you! 

I have been reading a great book 'The Gifts of Imperfection' and one of the things she pointed out is that through creativity we develop our authenticity and self-worthiness and it helps limit the comparison rat race. 

Read away! Craft away! 

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I guess I'm stingy..I won't give up my books or crafts..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN