Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DEAR (Drop Everthing And Read)

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Every single day we have a time when things are unraveling or the kids are getting frustrated or tired.  When that time comes, I yell out the word DEAR and they drop whatever they are doing.  They just let it lay ther.  They can pick it up later.  They have 2 minutes to get a drink or go to the bathroom and pick out a book.  We set the timer for 30 minutes and we read.  The younger ones may look at books quietly, sometimes they will go through 10 books during our DEAR time. 

Guess what?  They love it.  They also know that I am reading too.  It gives me some time to incorporate my love of reading into my day.  It gives me a peaceful and quiet half hour to calm down.  And it has greatly lengthened my 3yo's attention span.

At first it wasn't easy.  There was a lot of shuffling around, they wanted to trade books noisily.  They wanted to talk and ask questions.  But eventually it has gotten quiet. 

It is one thing that we don't stop even in the summer. 

ETA:  OOPS forgot to ask....Is there anything you do every day?  Any good tips for fostering the love of learning?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol, we do the same but I shout out Break! Lol
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM
That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

We do have quiet time while dd2 naps, I used to nap also but the baby has decided that is her awake time. I guess she wants a little mommy only time too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Boobah:

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

We do have quiet time while dd2 naps, I used to nap also but the baby has decided that is her awake time. I guess she wants a little mommy only time too :)

I miss nap time with my little boy!  It's such a nice cuddle time.

Truebesos
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I love this idea!  The unpredictability of it is what would excite my kids (and myself) thanks for the tip!

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM

That is an awesome tip.  I am bouncing between letting them look at books and days where I force quiet time so that they take a nap.  This hard b/c there are days where they turly need a nap and others where "I" nee to quiet time.  We are still working it out.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quoting coala:

That is an awesome tip.  I am bouncing between letting them look at books and days where I force quiet time so that they take a nap.  This hard b/c there are days where they turly need a nap and others where "I" nee to quiet time.  We are still working it out.

I found on days where my youngest needs a nap, I tell him to pick his absolute favorite book and no changes.  He lays on the bean bag and usually he falls asleep.  But I know when he's that tired. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I will see what I can do.  She is 4 and they share a room.  She gets upset and thinks it is a punishment when I don't send both of them in there and we have a 2 hour tempertantrum.  I will try 1 book each and no exchanging.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Quoting coala:

I will see what I can do.  She is 4 and they share a room.  She gets upset and thinks it is a punishment when I don't send both of them in there and we have a 2 hour tempertantrum.  I will try 1 book each and no exchanging.

We just recently stopped sending my 5yo for naps and the 3yo would have those tantrums.  This way he doesn't even realize that he'll be napping.  (I always hated sending them anywhere but their bed, but this keeps the peace in the house!)

TheCrooners
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
That's wonderful! We do Dance Party! and have a 5 minute clean up time. I guess now we'll also be doing DEAR. :-)
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
What a great idea. I am not sure how it will work in my house. How did you get them to stay quiet and still?

I plan to incorporate sensory specific activities throughout our school day this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN