Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DEAR (Drop Everthing And Read)

Posted by   + Show Post

Every single day we have a time when things are unraveling or the kids are getting frustrated or tired.  When that time comes, I yell out the word DEAR and they drop whatever they are doing.  They just let it lay ther.  They can pick it up later.  They have 2 minutes to get a drink or go to the bathroom and pick out a book.  We set the timer for 30 minutes and we read.  The younger ones may look at books quietly, sometimes they will go through 10 books during our DEAR time. 

Guess what?  They love it.  They also know that I am reading too.  It gives me some time to incorporate my love of reading into my day.  It gives me a peaceful and quiet half hour to calm down.  And it has greatly lengthened my 3yo's attention span.

At first it wasn't easy.  There was a lot of shuffling around, they wanted to trade books noisily.  They wanted to talk and ask questions.  But eventually it has gotten quiet. 

It is one thing that we don't stop even in the summer. 

ETA:  OOPS forgot to ask....Is there anything you do every day?  Any good tips for fostering the love of learning?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Replies (31-37):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I worked at a high school that shifted from traditional to block scheduling, I realized that 9th graders were not ready for 85 minute classes.  I needed a way to break up the class, so I started DEAR.  They read for 20 minutes in the middle of class.  They had a bit more vocab and grammar homework, but the productivity level went way up.  But the benefits didn't end there.  The librarian noticed!  She said that my students were cheking out 37% of the books, in the whole school!  She asked how I knew if they were reading the book or just sitting there staring at the pages.  Well as a mom I know that my kids are reading, but if you are wondering there is an easy way to find out.

This is what I did for those kids... Once a week I'd give an extra 10 minutes for the kids to write a letter.  One week they  would write the letter to the author with questions about the characters or praise about a certain setion, next a letter to the character with a suggestion for how they could have handled a situation differently, next a letter to me (someone who hsn't read the book) explaining why I should read the book, etc.  They got to practice something lacking in the school system... letter writing.  I got to see that they are definately reading the books!

Oh I LOVE the letter writing idea also! This will work well with my 7th grader who cringes when I say "book report" or "character annalysis." But letters, he loves to write them.

THANKS!

This is me and mine also!  I shall incorporate this skill as well, into my schooling this year!  Thanks a million blue! : ) 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Awww shucks!  No problem ladies!

superwoman0105
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I love that idea!  Thanks for sharing...This is my first year homeschooling and I am open to ideass!

Alyson121
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

What a great idea.  We tend to do quiet meditation time.  We call it "doing yoga" where everyone has to stop what they're doing and sit and relax and take long, slow, deep breaths. 

Yellowlily333
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM

DEAR rocks...we have a hard time getting our son to STOP reading! LOL

zebrachick83
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this. We'll definitely be trying this out when everyone gets extra irritable, including me!

Homeschooling, writing, JW mom to three. Wife to one and only. expecting girl

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Yellowlily333:

DEAR rocks...we have a hard time getting our son to STOP reading! LOL

Awesome!  That's my oldest, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)