Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

a beka?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

First off, I love boxed curriculum. It works for us right now, my son works well that way & so do i. It might change down the road, especially when my daughter truly enters the fray for homeschooling but for now we used boxed curriculum.

This year we are using Horizons for Kindergarten. I am already looking at 1st grade curriculum (we like to know how much money we will be spending so we can budget it). Of course for 1st grade he needs science, history so we can't just use HOrizons. I was looking at using Horizon & some bob jones but I've stumbled onto A Beka & am kind of interested in it. It would be a bit cheaper than using Horizons & Bob Jones

Does anyone use it? Do you like it? I've heard some say it has a lot of seatwork but we like seatwork here.  My son loves to sit down & work on worksheets (i use to have to print out extras). Any input would be appreciated.

I got a lot of time still to think about it but getting opinions. It's silly how excited I get when I find some new curriculum to look at lol

"Go Colts! It's going to be a blue Sunday"
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

go for it!! abeka is good curr, its christian, and it does have seat work, ( you can make any curr work for you if you want to)i really like abekas history and science for  all ages! i always use abeka  science and history for info when making my unit studies! has nice pictures, easy to understand(us!)

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM

We are using Abeka for kindergarten and I will probably use it through at least 2nd grade.  I really like their curriculum.  There is alot of seatwork, but we kind pick and choose through it according to what my daughter needs the most practice in.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Go check it out yourself! We have a rep with many of the materials available to look at here several times a year. Our rep is very helpful and knowledgeable and answers any questions one has.

You can see if there is one in your area (and when) here:

http://www.abeka.com/MaterialsDisplay/Default.aspx

PS If you go you can bring your children with you. I usually want DS with me if I want to question HIM on things, and I have seen other people with their kids there as well. Just make sure you bring something to occupy them if you plan to be awhile.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I used it when I homeschooled as a child and loved it! I have some of their books for my kids now as well. I used their health, science and history last year. You can't go wrong with abeka.
Bethsunshine
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I'm NOT a fan of Abeka, because of all the seatwork. To me, there is way too much nonsense busywork involved and it is dry and boring. If your son likes doing worksheets, then it would probably work well for him. It would never fly in our house. My boys are too wiggly for that.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

lucsch
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I'm NOT a fan of Abeka, because of all the seatwork. To me, there is way too much nonsense busywork involved and it is dry and boring. If your son likes doing worksheets, then it would probably work well for him. It would never fly in our house. My boys are too wiggly for that.

I agree It would never work for my dd9. She would balk at all that filling in the blank. It has way too much busywork, for us; and our time is better spent on other things. However, it IS a solid program, so if you like seatwork, go for it!

I do use their health and have their 3rd grade history book as a supplement. We used a boxed curriculum from Heart of Dakota.

I used aBeka for my 4th aand 6th graders years ago. They had used aBeka in their private Christian school previously, so it was a natural choice. However, it required a lot of grading of papers and quizzes for me; and it did not seem to draw us together a a family, which I wanted. HOD works better for my dd and I now. I'm so happy I found it!

We used Sonlight for 2 years. It has some great books, but I like HOD better.

NoraDun
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I LOVE Abeka. I used it my 11th and 12th grade year. And I am using some of it this year for my son. I prefer Abeka over the others I have seen. But I do like Bob Jones too. Haven't seen any Horizon curriculum though. Good Luck

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

We use their accredited program via DVD instruction.  My kids LOVE it.  For K it is about $600 that includes EVERYTHING you will need.  1-6 is more expensive is is roughly $1,000.  Again that includes EVERYTHING.  They keep the grades and life is easy peasy in that department.  I think you should go visit a rep in your area.   Our rep is wonderful as is his wife.  They work as a team.  They remembered us from last year and were happy to see us back.  We are starting 1st grade in just a few weeks and my youngest will start Kindergarten at 4 1/2 b/c that is as early as the accredited program will take her....so after Christmas.  BTW my kids love starting their day with bible class.

momof8-4Jesus
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I use a lot of Abeka stuff and like most of it.  The spelling is a little dated at the 4th and 5th grade level.  Their bible teaching may be off in some places depending on your views.  But over all its good.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I grew up with abeka (and others) and now am using some for my dd'. Its a great curriculum if it fits for your family. There is alot of seatwork which is why I am only using some of it for now. I will probably use more of it again as she gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)