Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need more insect activities

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

My kindergartner is on a bug kick, and has been for afew weeks.
 We've gone over the caterpillar to butterfly thing.  Read the very hungry caterpillar several times, done 3 caterpillar crafts and 2 butterfly crafts...We talked about how bees make honey, the different jobs that bees have and watched the bee movie...we inspected ants outside and talked about ant hills, and the different parts of the ant.
 We also went to the childrens museum here and they had some gigantic spiders in a temporary exhibit...gross but she thought it was pretty cool.

I'm running out of stuff to talk about that is at her level, bug-wise.
 What else can I do lol??

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM

are you going outside and looking for the bugs?

you can make a bug with the parts that come off

have any in a jar

magnifing glass to look at bugs

worms are fun also

cut out picturres of bugs and make a collage

make a bug costrume and let her wear it, out of cloth or cardboard

make bugs houses

shellyote
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Bug people put up a white sheet and shine a blacklight or a powerful light on it at night. This attracts moths. Maybe plant something that butterflies like? You could go to a garden store and buy a bunch of ladybugs or a Praying mantis egg case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellyote
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Oops I didn't see this was the homeschooliny group. Lol. My dd isn't even 1 yet.

Quoting shellyote:

Bug people put up a white sheet and shine a blacklight or a powerful light on it at night. This attracts moths. Maybe plant something that butterflies like? You could go to a garden store and buy a bunch of ladybugs or a Praying mantis egg case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

How about reading the Grouchy Ladybug or the Very Quiet Cricket.  My boys liked watching this video after we caught a praying mantis this summer, but have a ruler and 4 of the hundred blocks if you have a base ten block set:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

8) We take ideas, freely. Have you thought about homeschooling? lol

Quoting shellyote:

Oops I didn't see this was the homeschooliny group. Lol. My dd isn't even 1 yet.

Quoting shellyote:

shellyote
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM
It's crossed my mind. But I don't think her father is into it. And we might both be working. I'm gonna try to get her into a charter school around here. We aren't in a nice school district.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting shellyote:

Quoting shellyote:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

At least you have plenty of time to figure it out! lol Feel free to stick around and offer suggestions. 8)

Quoting shellyote:

It's crossed my mind. But I don't think her father is into it. And we might both be working. I'm gonna try to get her into a charter school around here. We aren't in a nice school district.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting shellyote:

Quoting shellyote:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Have you done anything on ladybugs?  You could  do something on June Bugs(ewww). lol  You could also do something on tics(another ewww). :))  How about grasshoppers?  Centipedes? Millipedes?  :) 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Lady bugs turn from caterpillars too.  And you can do all kinds of things with bugs.  Make an ant, talking about how ants live in a colony.  And all kinds of things.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We launched our bug study by watching some silly movies, like It's A Bugs Life and The Bee Movie. Then we made a big chart with the different bugs from the movie and marked length of life, what they eat, if they live in a colony or along, etc. we also did a lapbook if I remembr right. And we tried to find out if the movies were at all accurate into behavior/characters of each type of bugs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)