Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 36 Replies

I got my notice today after submitting my intent form to homeschool that I am "Permitted to teach my children, Xavier and Malachi, at home this year" OH well thank you for giving me that permission. 

I really think its ridiculous we have to have permission to teach our own children. And that they wouldn't except me as being fit to do so because I graduated as a homeschooled child so instead I had to turn in my Husband's highschool deploma and tell them he was gonna be homeschooling. 

Ok sorry vent over. I just didn't like the way the letter was written I gues!! Grr

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Congrats on being "permitted"!  :)  

That word sounds so authoritative.

When does your school year start?

NoraDun
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Yea I agree. I mean I understand I needed their permission but feel it could of been writting a little less "Powerfully" LoL hey whatch gonna do right LOL

We start Monday! We are taking our oldest on a before school trip tomorrow to celebrate!

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Congrats on being "permitted"!  :)  

That word sounds so authoritative.

When does your school year start?

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah!!!!  So, glad that you have the governments permission to teach your child.  LOL  Like they can do a better job!  Have fun on your trip.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Now that you have "permission", the power is all yours! :)

A before school field trip sounds fun!  We start school on the 27th, so I still have time to plan something.

NoraDun
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea we are excited, I think I am more excited to see his reaction (this is the first time going to a place like this). We decided a few months ago we would do this and just take him. Our two youngest are to young to ride anything so I dont believe it would be very fun for them. I felt bad not taking Malachi (my 3 yr old) because he is starting school this year, BUT on the other hand I told Hubby he will get to go next year LOL. So we got a baby sitter who is our neice and is amazing with our kids. She will have lots of fun with the two younger ones while we give our oldest some Mommy and Daddy attention. Plus it will give us time to talk about what we want out of our school year together. I am so excited for Monday to get here. I hope this year goes GREAT! Anyway thank you!! And keep me posted how your school year goes :)

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Now that you have "permission", the power is all yours! :)

A before school field trip sounds fun!  We start school on the 27th, so I still have time to plan something.

NoraDun
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I KNOW right LOL

Quoting coala:

Yeah!!!!  So, glad that you have the governments permission to teach your child.  LOL  Like they can do a better job!  Have fun on your trip.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the states that have rules like that do it in hopes that parents wont want the trouble of messing with homeschooling & just default to PS.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Glad you got permission.  8-)

NoraDun
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I thought it was standard in all states?? I dont know, I mean its more or less just annoying. It wasn't really much trouble, just annoying LOL. The only other thing according to him my state requires is a standized test score at the end of the year. So I would like to get an idea what test I want to use and prepare for the cost etc of that before the start of the new year. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I think my aunt, and my homeschool group used California's test. But I dont know why? Or how expensive it was

Quoting usmom3:

I think the states that have rules like that do it in hopes that parents wont want the trouble of messing with homeschooling & just default to PS.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Nope not standard in all states I live in Texas & I only have to notify the PS that we are homeschooling if I am removing a child from the system but if my children never enter the system I never have to notify them. I never have to have permission to homeschool from anyone. Also we don't have to do any testing at all, no sending anything in to anyone.

Quoting NoraDun:

I thought it was standard in all states?? I dont know, I mean its more or less just annoying. It wasn't really much trouble, just annoying LOL. The only other thing according to him my state requires is a standized test score at the end of the year. So I would like to get an idea what test I want to use and prepare for the cost etc of that before the start of the new year. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I think my aunt, and my homeschool group used California's test. But I dont know why? Or how expensive it was

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN