Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I got my notice today after submitting my intent form to homeschool that I am "Permitted to teach my children, Xavier and Malachi, at home this year" OH well thank you for giving me that permission. 

I really think its ridiculous we have to have permission to teach our own children. And that they wouldn't except me as being fit to do so because I graduated as a homeschooled child so instead I had to turn in my Husband's highschool deploma and tell them he was gonna be homeschooling. 

Ok sorry vent over. I just didn't like the way the letter was written I gues!! Grr

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Replies (31-36):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting oredeb:

weve never followed our homeschool state law, never told the superintendent we are homeschooling, dont test every other year, or anything else it requires,

thats so weird that they gave you permission! haha i guess they gotta feel like they are in control

That is the absolute truth. 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have read your states hs laws (VA).  I agree with Beth....You NEED to contact HSLDA.  They have clearly violated your states hs laws.  Not just once(when not accepting your currc outline w/out a diploma), but twice when the letter was worded that "you are permitted".  Don't let the super get away with it.  You have to follow the hs laws, and he should too!!!  Best of luck Nora!!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting NoraDun:

Well according to that they should of accepted the curriculum outline I sent in, but they didn't. They still said I had to send in my deploma. When I couldn't they said I would need to send in my Husbands!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting NoraDun:

I am in VA. I wish I could say something, I think its wrong I have to be permitted to school my own child!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

What state do you live in? I live in PA and we have some of the strictes homeschooling laws in the entire country. From what I understand of the PA homeschool laws, it is illegal for the superintendant to "permit" you to homeschool. I belong to a group that interprets and explains the law and I know for a fact, the lady who leads the group would be taking the superintendant to task for wording the letter that way.

Okay I just looked on the HSLDA website for VA homeschool laws, and if I'm understanding it correctly, they are not allowed to "'permit" or "not permit" you to homeschool. If I were you, I would contact HSLDA or another similar organization and tell them about the letter you received. IT doesn't sound to me like they are following the law.

Parental instruction of children is an acceptable form of education. Va. Code Ann. § 22.1-254.1(A).

Parents must annually notify their local superintendent of their intention to home school by August 15.

If moving into the school district or if starting home instruction after the school year has begun,

parents must notify “as soon as practicable” and thereafter comply with other requirements within

thirty days of notice. There is no requirement to use the local school district’s form.

Approval is not required. “Approval is automatic so long as a proper notice is filed.” State Supts.

Memo No. 105, June 6, 1984. The same is true for families starting after the school year has begun:

“...subsequent to providing the school division with a notice of intent, such parents can begin home

schooling and they will have 30 days to submit the other information required.” Supts. Memo No.

124, June 9, 2006, referring to the legislature’s 2006 addition of the word “thereafter” to the notice

requirement.

Parents must satisfy one of four options: (i) have a high school diploma, or

(ii) be a “teacher of

qualifications prescribed by the Board of Education,”

or

(iii) provide a curriculum or program of

study,

or

(iv) provide evidence that the “parent is able to provide an adequate education.” State Supt.

Memo 105, June 6, 1984, stated that in determining whether a parent can provide an adequate

education, a local superintendent should determine “whether the document itself exhibits a mastery of

language by the writer; whether it includes plans for instructional activities; and whether it presents a

reasonable scope and sequence of content. The [local] superintendent does not have to approve or

disapprove the activities or the content and should not pass judgment on whether the curriculum

That's illegal. Seriously, you need to call them out on the carpet for this. Sometimes, as homeschoolers, we are our own worst enemies. We HAVE to be knowledgeable about the law and we can't give the school districts anything above and beyond the law. That sets a dangerous precedent, because they will expect the same from EVERYONE. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. You really need to contact a homeschooling legal organization and make them aware of this.

Nazreynah
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM
congrats & yeah its silly there our kids why should we need someone else to say its ok to do..
fed_up
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Nope not standard in all states I live in Texas & I only have to notify the PS that we are homeschooling if I am removing a child from the system but if my children never enter the system I never have to notify them. I never have to have permission to homeschool from anyone. Also we don't have to do any testing at all, no sending anything in to anyone.

Wow, and I thought North Carolina was an good home education state!  I think I'll just move over to Texas! 

Glad you got your "permission" and sounds like you're oh-so-excited!  Have fun!  :)

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Yup. Indiana is like that too. Makes me wish I was back in Indiana & not in California. 

Quoting Boobah:

This is the first time I have ever wished I lived in Texas.  ;)  

Then again, I think Indiana is the same way and I live about 30 minutes from the border or less.  Think hubby will mind adding another 30 minutes to his 45 minute drive to work?  

Quoting usmom3:

Nope not standard in all states I live in Texas & I only have to notify the PS that we are homeschooling if I am removing a child from the system but if my children never enter the system I never have to notify them. I never have to have permission to homeschool from anyone. Also we don't have to do any testing at all, no sending anything in to anyone.

Quoting NoraDun:

I thought it was standard in all states?? I dont know, I mean its more or less just annoying. It wasn't really much trouble, just annoying LOL. The only other thing according to him my state requires is a standized test score at the end of the year. So I would like to get an idea what test I want to use and prepare for the cost etc of that before the start of the new year. Does anyone have any suggestions??

I think my aunt, and my homeschool group used California's test. But I dont know why? Or how expensive it was

Quoting usmom3:

I think the states that have rules like that do it in hopes that parents wont want the trouble of messing with homeschooling & just default to PS.

"Go Colts! It's going to be a blue Sunday"
NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thanks ladies I will definately make the call. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)