Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We just learned

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

That dolphins are mammals and so are porposes (sp).  We learned about blubber also.  My girls are watching a documentary on the artic ocean and got in a fight about whether dolphins and whales where mammals. 

When I said my dd6 was right my 5 year old started pouting because she thought I was just agreeing with her sister. 

So onto the trusty internet we went and look up mammals and what they had to have and compared it to dolphins and whales.  Then we looked up porposes and found they are mammals also.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

My kids had a hard time getting that they where mammals because they live in the water when they where younger.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM

My 5 year old said she believed they were fish because they look like fish.  So we studied it.  I think she figured out I wasnt just siding with her sister and then she was ok.  My kids do stuff like this all the time.  They ask questions and fight over the answers till we research.  I cant wait till they can research on thier own.  But only because then they can bring the knowledge back and share it.  It would be fun.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Look up the fresh water dolphin.  That one blew my 7yo's mind!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I will.  There is so much to learn when they ask questions.  I find myself learning too.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Are you talking about the fish that looks like a dolphin or the river dolphins?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

River dolphins.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I was just checking because I found both.  It is nap time right now so I will show them what I found when they wake up.  They will love it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

River dolphins.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM

My boys thought the pink ones were absolutely wild!  I think they're the ones in the amazon, but I could be wrong.  We found them when we were doing the Yangtze river this year.  I think those ones were called Baiji ?  Anyway, they got a kick out of them!

Quoting debramommyof4:

I was just checking because I found both.  It is nap time right now so I will show them what I found when they wake up.  They will love it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

River dolphins.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I would love to have been there to watch that unfold and see their reactions to all the information they learned.  :) 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

They saw the pink ones on Diego several days ago, but I never really thought of it.  They are from the amazon at least I am pretty sure they are.  I am looking it all up so they can see the different ones.  I think animals are so neat. 

My 6 year old can name just about any animal you show her.  She loves animals and when my husband and I were both in the military we could all go to the San Diego Zoo for free and we went every weekend till I got out.  So my older two got to see animals every weekend.  My oldest always asked the names and could name most of them by 2 1/2 when she saw them. 

But we are still learning our sea animals.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys thought the pink ones were absolutely wild!  I think they're the ones in the amazon, but I could be wrong.  We found them when we were doing the Yangtze river this year.  I think those ones were called Baiji ?  Anyway, they got a kick out of them!

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

River dolphins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)