Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

That dolphins are mammals and so are porposes (sp).  We learned about blubber also.  My girls are watching a documentary on the artic ocean and got in a fight about whether dolphins and whales where mammals. 

When I said my dd6 was right my 5 year old started pouting because she thought I was just agreeing with her sister. 

So onto the trusty internet we went and look up mammals and what they had to have and compared it to dolphins and whales.  Then we looked up porposes and found they are mammals also.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Replies (11-13):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

They are always excited when they learn something new.  I love it.

Quoting kirbymom:

I would love to have been there to watch that unfold and see their reactions to all the information they learned.  :) 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We go to the Baltimore Aquarium every year for a long weekend trip.  My boys have been hooked on ocean life since they saw Nemo (so nearly at birth, haha).  But they like anykind of animal.  We're planning a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo after the local schools start.  Hope that means fewer people.  quiet

Quoting debramommyof4:

They saw the pink ones on Diego several days ago, but I never really thought of it.  They are from the amazon at least I am pretty sure they are.  I am looking it all up so they can see the different ones.  I think animals are so neat. 

My 6 year old can name just about any animal you show her.  She loves animals and when my husband and I were both in the military we could all go to the San Diego Zoo for free and we went every weekend till I got out.  So my older two got to see animals every weekend.  My oldest always asked the names and could name most of them by 2 1/2 when she saw them. 

But we are still learning our sea animals.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys thought the pink ones were absolutely wild!  I think they're the ones in the amazon, but I could be wrong.  We found them when we were doing the Yangtze river this year.  I think those ones were called Baiji ?  Anyway, they got a kick out of them!

Quoting debramommyof4:

I was just checking because I found both.  It is nap time right now so I will show them what I found when they wake up.  They will love it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Look up the fresh water dolphin.  That one blew my 7yo's mind!

Are you talking about the fish that looks like a dolphin or the river dolphins?

River dolphins.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish we had a good aquarium near us.  There is one in San Diego but it doesnt have as many fish as I would like to see, but it was interesting.  They love Sea World but we cant go there all the time and it isnt all about the animals.  Though we do learn things there.  I really need to find one that is fun with lots more fish and facts.  But they do have fun when we go to places like that.  Have fun at the zoo.  It should have a lot less people but it will be so awesome.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We go to the Baltimore Aquarium every year for a long weekend trip.  My boys have been hooked on ocean life since they saw Nemo (so nearly at birth, haha).  But they like anykind of animal.  We're planning a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo after the local schools start.  Hope that means fewer people.  quiet

Quoting debramommyof4:

They saw the pink ones on Diego several days ago, but I never really thought of it.  They are from the amazon at least I am pretty sure they are.  I am looking it all up so they can see the different ones.  I think animals are so neat. 

My 6 year old can name just about any animal you show her.  She loves animals and when my husband and I were both in the military we could all go to the San Diego Zoo for free and we went every weekend till I got out.  So my older two got to see animals every weekend.  My oldest always asked the names and could name most of them by 2 1/2 when she saw them. 

But we are still learning our sea animals.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys thought the pink ones were absolutely wild!  I think they're the ones in the amazon, but I could be wrong.  We found them when we were doing the Yangtze river this year.  I think those ones were called Baiji ?  Anyway, they got a kick out of them!

Quoting debramommyof4:

I was just checking because I found both.  It is nap time right now so I will show them what I found when they wake up.  They will love it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Look up the fresh water dolphin.  That one blew my 7yo's mind!

Are you talking about the fish that looks like a dolphin or the river dolphins?

River dolphins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)