Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Added question How do YOU teach spelling in early education.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM
  • 25 Replies
So I was looking for some different ideas to teach spelling. Right now I am just having him memorize spelling but there has to be something fun to do.

Added question: How many spelling words a week should k-2 have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

On Monday I have him write his words 3 times each. On Tuesday he finds them in a word search and puts them in alpha order.  On Wednesday he writes them in sentences.  On Thursday he takes a pre-test and writes the ones he missed 3 times each.  Then he either does a jumble, or finds them in a paragraph, or finds the one that is spelled correctly in each row.  Then on Friday, he takes the quiz.  Boring, but effective.

mjp2707
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Do you make your own word searches. ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM

We will be going with the tired and true method for my family.  It proved so effective that I only EVER missed 1 spelling word in Elementary school (I never got less than a 98).  We will be writting each word 10 times each.  If that bores her then we will look up the definition of each word and write that out as well. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mjp2707:

Do you make your own word searches. ?

abcya.com has a word search generator that's easy to use.  I think it's in the 2nd grade section of the site....

http://www.abcya.com/make_a_word_search.htm

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

We read, read, read. :) Reading literature (with properly spelled words) is a great spelling tool IMO.

Beginning with 2nd grade we use Spelling Workout. The units are short (I usually divide them over 2-3 days) and then I give an oral quiz at the end of the week. Any missed words have to be written three times.

mjp2707
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Flash cards, sounding words out, worksheets that list the words spelled 3 different ways (always, ulwayz, allways) and they have to pick the right word, and then write it on the line next to the words. 

I'm most fond of having them (the 8- and 9-year old) sound the words out, especially outside of school activities.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I use all about spelling. It's seriously worth the money. Julia loves it and so do I. We use an iPad app with it instead of the big white board and magnets but you can do either. If you want to know more let me know. We are going to AAS level 2 for second grade. It doesn't go by grade just in order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM

h mj!!!

i can tell you how i teach spelling, i like to get in the auditory, hands one, and visual ways of studing

i take the words out of what we are learning- depending on the child, i start at 1 word when they are first learning phonics/reading using what ever sounds we are learning(when they have some words down i start the sight words)

6 or 7(depending on child) i give them anywhere from 5 to 10

7 up 15 or or more

how we study them:

trace them with our fingers,

say them outloud a few times, listening for the sounds, breaking them into sylables, looking at any endings etc

write them  in a sentence using as many of the words we can, (again depending on the child)

they spell them outloud trying to see them in their mind! also some of the kids like to air write them, spelling them outloud

if i have 2 that are studying the same words we do the game of who can spell the word first on the chalk board

(i also make them little vocab booklets) i have them then look the word up and copy what the definition is from the book. then write the word in a sentence(if able)

lucsch
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM

K-2 should be phonics, sight words (Dolch lists, for example), for reading, not spelling. I would not do spelling until 3rd grade. Public schools encourage writing before the kids can read, which IMO encourages bad spelling. I did not even do spelling with my 3rd grader--she tested in 8th grade level of Spelling Power, so we dropped it. Reading, reading, and more reading are all the children need for grammar and spelling in the early years. Get the child reading fluently. Start spelling when they are reading for the purpose of gleaning information. 

JMHO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)