Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

My Sister-in-law is going to home school her grand child. What subjects should she focuse on. I said Math, writing, and alphabet with begining reading. Dose any one have any other sugestions? Thanks for your help in advance.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Truebesos
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It sounds like you've got the foundations figured out.  I think adding in creative time for art or crafts is important too.  It's amazing how many kindergartners don't have the hand dexterity to cut with scissors!

My kindergartner will be doing life science, basic geography (learning maps, directions, continents and oceans), Spanish, piano and the ones you mentioned!  It can be as little or as much as your sister in law wants to teach!

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM
My Ker will be doing:

Reading/Phonics
Math
Science
Social Studies
Music
Art
Exercise and Movement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:54 PM

make it fun and do some nature studies!! out side! hands on 

mrs.musquiz
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I think it depends on if she will continue homeschooling after kindergarten. Or if her grandchild will go to PS after. The reason I say that is, these days, Kindergarten isn't all play time/ nap time. The public schools have raised standards quite a bit. The school my son was going to go to does this for their curriculum:

Reading/phonics, Language Arts, Writing, Math, Science, History & geography, Art, Music, Media (including using the computer lab); and P.E./Health.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:29 AM
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Welcome!

You can find a typical course of study outline for each grade here - http://worldbook.com/component/k2/item/337-typical-course-of-study-kindergarten-curriculum-guide

She could also follow free lesson plans from www.letteroftheweek.com or she could join sites like www.time4learning.com

Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Penmom4
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Romacox, Grade level links don't work. Thanks any way.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

we are doing

Math

Reading/phonics/writing

Geography

Health

P.E

Science

art

Italian

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)