Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

switched on schoolhouse spanish

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am thinking of using SOS for my 9th graders.  I was planning on using Rosetta Stone but I just don't have the money right now.  I have found the SOS for 1/4 of the price of Rosetta Stone.

I was wondering if anyone has used SOS for spanish. 

I have also read alot of mixed reviews on Rosetta Stone.  Many people say that it does not go in depth. 

Thank you everyone.

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

BUMP!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I have a sample disk for Rosetta Stone and love it.  I just won't buy the full program. Too expensive.  But the sample disk is a great starter for learning a language though. My 15 year old son taught himself basic German from this sample disk. 

NiniAndTheBoys
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I used the elementary French last year for my 10 and 12 year olds and it was completely inadequate. I assume that their Spanish I would be better and a more complete program than their "secondary Spanish" program, which is just an introductory program. My sister used that one and she said it was super easy also.
I want something that will challenge the boys and teach them, not just games.... I don't know if that helps at all. I'm waiting until I can afford Rosetta stone.
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Quoting NiniAndTheBoys:

I used the elementary French last year for my 10 and 12 year olds and it was completely inadequate. I assume that their Spanish I would be better and a more complete program than their "secondary Spanish" program, which is just an introductory program. My sister used that one and she said it was super easy also.
I want something that will challenge the boys and teach them, not just games.... I don't know if that helps at all. I'm waiting until I can afford Rosetta stone.

Thank you.  I went ahead and got the secondary spanish.  I called SOS and they said it is a great introduction for Spanish.  I really do want something easy for this year because I don't want them to get frustrated.  We are actually planning on them taking 4 years of Spanish to make them more competitive when they are old enough to enter the job market.

I am planning on letting my daughter start spanish also.  She will be in kindergarten this year and she is really wanting to learn spanish.  I have heard Rosetta Stone is good for 6 years and up but I've not read any reviews for anyone that young.

If this program is easy enough then I am hoping they can finish it in one semester.  Then, maybe I can afford to buy the Rosetta Stone version.  We will probably do Spanish year round so they don't forget anything..

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

I have a sample disk for Rosetta Stone and love it.  I just won't buy the full program. Too expensive.  But the sample disk is a great starter for learning a language though. My 15 year old son taught himself basic German from this sample disk. 

Thank you.  I will have to check into that.  I didn't realize that they had a sample disk available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)