Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone used "All about Reading" and not used the interactive kit? PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

So darn it, I bought "All about reading" level 1 for my daughter for Kindergarten and the teachers manual.  A lot of the manual, though, says to use something from the interactive kit.  Do I need to buy that too?  Has anyone here used "All about reading" and not bought their interactive kit?

This is what I am referring to: http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/reading-interactive-kit/

Follow me on my "Insanity" journey: http://mom2olivia08.blogspot.com/

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

ive not used the program, but am thinking about it! can you take a look at the kit and see if you can make the stuff needed?  if not it seems it would be worth having the basic kit, thats what i am gona buy with it, if i decide to use it.  those letter tiles sound fun!!

mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

We're using AAR pre-level 1 for my 4 year old this year so that doesn't apply.  

We do use AAS though and they have a similar kit, which I'm glad we purchased.  That said, we have never used the CD-Rom (Maybe I should pop it in and see what's on it? LOL)  and the dividers are nice but you could easily make your own with a note card and tabs/tape.  

That leaves the tiles and magnets to put on the tiles.  I know that if I go through the Teacher's books in AAS it tells me what the tiles are so in theory I could make my own.  They are color coded though, vowels are one color, consonants are another, etc.  It really just depends on how important that is to you.  You DEFINITELY need some way to have the letters/letter combinations available though.

If you do find yourself needing to place an order and have enough to purchase still, Rainbow Resource is offering free shipping on orders over $50 through Sept.  I already needed to place an order with RR so I added in the boxes for the cards for AAR and AAS for $10 each so no extra shipping like there would be directly from the AAR/AAS website.

I did just read that the tiles for AAR and AAS are the same so if you're planning on moving over to AAS at some point it may be worth the purchase.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM
We also do AAsn not AAR.... Given how similar they are, I would get the kit, especially if you have more than one student that will use it.

They are very sturdy and while you could make your own, it wouldn't be worth the extra work...IMO

We use them both on the magnetic white board and to do relay races on the fridge (to make it more fun).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I've never used this program. How do you like the program so far? 

armygirl16
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I haven't started using it yet.  I'm still gathering all the materials.  But from what I've looked at through the materials I like it.  I just have the student materials and the teachers manual.  I still need the student kit (letter tiles and whatnot)  I might just buy the readers too.  Dang it I wased a lot of money doing it this way.  I should have just bough the whole thing the first time.  It was only $99 for all of it (except the interactive kit which is $20). I will have spent a bit above that on all of this seperately.  

Quoting kirbymom:

I've never used this program. How do you like the program so far? 

Follow me on my "Insanity" journey: http://mom2olivia08.blogspot.com/

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This is our first year using spelling and pre level 1 reading (so we don't need the kit yet). After browsing through everything, I think the kit would be totally worth it just to save you time and hassle of making your own cards.
Just out of curiosity for those who've used the program before, is the spelling and reading interactive kit the same?

oredeb
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

i wana use it!!!! i wana use it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)