Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

special request

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a special request.

I am not good at schedules and routines.  I have tried to make and keep them and I just can't do it!

Wold someone give me their routine, or help me out with mine. The reason I'm asking is because I know my 5 yr old thrives on routines and schedules. I'm want us to have a good start homeschooling especially since my DH is completely against it.

Here are some thing in our schedule already for next year. Mondays we meet friends at the park, however the time may be changing, where we use to meet around lunchtime, but during the summer people seem to be coming in the morning. We would like ot continue this.

Wednesdays from 8-12 we have Classical conversations class. We cover all subjects from science experiments, fine arts, grammar (english, latin, math, science, geography, and history).

Th rest of the days I want to make sure to include bible study every morning, some math, reading and writing, the things we learn in class on wednesdays, some arts and crafts. (the arts and crafts don't have to be daily. I'm also hoping to have the kids in some sort of sport or gymnastics, not sure which one yet.

Thank you so much!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

and to add, I have to fit in housework, gardening, preparing for the wednesday classes, and my photography business (friday I teach photography as well, forgot to mention that).

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I would get her breakfast and then do your bible class.  Maybe have her help with a few things around the house and do another lesson.  Get a few more things done and another lesson.  I try to cook in bulk and freeze so that I don't have to cook as often.  That has helped tremendously.  I also have the kids help with the evening cleaning and have my upcoming 1st grader do the vacuuming of the hard floors while I am washing dishes and preparing dinner.  I also only do 1 load of laundry a day....all the way to getting the kids to help put it away.  On Wednesday nights I would go over what the lesson was and prepare the rest of your activities for the rest of the week.  I hope this helps.

Our schedule is typically:

Breakfast

A few chores

Start classes.....start with bible and follow our lesson plan.

lunch at noon

finish lessons

study...and practice what we have learned.

evening cleaning

dinner

bath

bed at 8

The only things set in stone for our day is lunch at noon, and bed at 8.  The rest of our day is pretty flexible.  I don't see a problem with it as long as we get everything done that needs doing.  Good luck with your HS journey!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting coala:

I would get her breakfast and then do your bible class.  Maybe have her help with a few things around the house and do another lesson.  Get a few more things done and another lesson.  I try to cook in bulk and freeze so that I don't have to cook as often.  That has helped tremendously.  I also have the kids help with the evening cleaning and have my upcoming 1st grader do the vacuuming of the hard floors while I am washing dishes and preparing dinner.  I also only do 1 load of laundry a day....all the way to getting the kids to help put it away.  On Wednesday nights I would go over what the lesson was and prepare the rest of your activities for the rest of the week.  I hope this helps.

Our schedule is typically:

Breakfast

A few chores

Start classes.....start with bible and follow our lesson plan.

lunch at noon

finish lessons

study...and practice what we have learned.

evening cleaning

dinner

bath

bed at 8

The only things set in stone for our day is lunch at noon, and bed at 8.  The rest of our day is pretty flexible.  I don't see a problem with it as long as we get everything done that needs doing.  Good luck with your HS journey!

thank you :) It does help. I was just trying toght now to do a bible lesson while they were eating breakfast. It didn't work as they were joking around while I was trying to read :( Maybe I need to keep it short with one verse and discussion?

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

well precious you can get one of those lesson plan books from target or dollar store for a dollar or use a note book or something from internet 

sample schedule for mon-fri, these are just samples

(do what you can till park time) and then finish work up later or bring it to next day

Monday- Tuesday schedule

8:00-Breakfast, clean room, do some chores

9:00- bible  -read the word, sing, pray            

9:15-math - do page 1-3 using manipulatives, learn adding 1 place digits          

9:45-phonics/reading- learn letter A, learn sounds, go through abcs,      

10:00-writing- practice the letter A, trace childs name,        

10:15-art/crafts- do an letter A craft using glue, pencils, colors, etc   

10:45-class/conv.- talk about what you did here, have child tell you what went on, or act it out

11:15-reading- you read a story to child, and ask what he liked most about it

Lunch!!

you can do your chores and child can do chores

Wednesday- classical conversations(not sure how long that takes?) but i try to get in math and phonics everyday if theres time

thursday- friday (do the above schedule mon-tuesday) you  schooling your 5 yr old doesnt need to take very long, just a couple hours a day, then you can do your garden work, clean house etc also include  5 yr old in garden and chores!! part of learning! gardening is science!!!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting oredeb:

well precious you can get one of those lesson plan books from target or dollar store for a dollar or use a note book or something from internet 

sample schedule for mon-fri, these are just samples

(do what you can till park time) and then finish work up later or bring it to next day

Monday- Tuesday schedule

8:00-Breakfast, clean room, do some chores

9:00- bible  -read the word, sing, pray            

9:15-math - do page 1-3 using manipulatives, learn adding 1 place digits          

9:45-phonics/reading- learn letter A, learn sounds, go through abcs,      

10:00-writing- practice the letter A, trace childs name,        

10:15-art/crafts- do an letter A craft using glue, pencils, colors, etc   

10:45-class/conv.- talk about what you did here, have child tell you what went on, or act it out

11:15-reading- you read a story to child, and ask what he liked most about it

Lunch!!

you can do your chores and child can do chores

Wednesday- classical conversations(not sure how long that takes?) but i try to get in math and phonics everyday if theres time

thursday- friday (do the above schedule mon-tuesday) you  schooling your 5 yr old doesnt need to take very long, just a couple hours a day, then you can do your garden work, clean house etc also include  5 yr old in garden and chores!! part of learning! gardening is science!!!

so far for the summer we have been doing gardening and chores, and some reading. Nothing has been consistant though :/

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This is not my best subject! lol I had to fight to get any kind of schedule for us going.  I have had to learn to write down what it is I wanted the kids to learn and then find the subject and give it a thurough look over and see how many pages or questions that I wanted them to cover, either for the day or for the week.  We finally settled on how many pages they are to do per day and then planned thir work with that in mind.  If they got done faster than was configured, we just adjusted their work and either added another subject or added to the subjects already being done. This year, I am going to incorporate the reading on a dime  theme.  We always get up between 7:30 & 8:00 am. School got started by 10 am, so we did the breakfast and chores in between that time.  Whatever chores didn't get done, the kids would make sure to get done with the evening's chores after dinner. School was done around 3 pm for the younger ones and 4 to 5 pm for the older ones. They also would do any school work if they found they weren't going to be done by Friday as all schoolwork had to be done if they planned on having a free weekend to themselves.  The best advice I can give you is... don't get too frustrated if some days just aren't working. Go with it.  Its really not the end of the world if you didn't learn the whole amount that was initally planned.  lol I had to learn this concept the hard way. I was just so afraid that I was doing my job as my kids' teacher and that they wouldn't even graduate. Boy, was I ever over worried! LOL   I have my first graduate and another one on the way for next year. 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

This is not my best subject! lol I had to fight to get any kind of schedule for us going.  I have had to learn to write down what it is I wanted the kids to learn and then find the subject and give it a thurough look over and see how many pages or questions that I wanted them to cover, either for the day or for the week.  We finally settled on how many pages they are to do per day and then planned thir work with that in mind.  If they got done faster than was configured, we just adjusted their work and either added another subject or added to the subjects already being done. This year, I am going to incorporate the reading on a dime  theme.  We always get up between 7:30 & 8:00 am. School got started by 10 am, so we did the breakfast and chores in between that time.  Whatever chores didn't get done, the kids would make sure to get done with the evening's chores after dinner. School was done around 3 pm for the younger ones and 4 to 5 pm for the older ones. They also would do any school work if they found they weren't going to be done by Friday as all schoolwork had to be done if they planned on having a free weekend to themselves.  The best advice I can give you is... don't get too frustrated if some days just aren't working. Go with it.  Its really not the end of the world if you didn't learn the whole amount that was initally planned.  lol I had to learn this concept the hard way. I was just so afraid that I was doing my job as my kids' teacher and that they wouldn't even graduate. Boy, was I ever over worried! LOL   I have my first graduate and another one on the way for next year. 

thank you! I just experienced this this mornings! lol I'd rather be a happy mom that didn't get done what she needed to than to be an unhappy frustrated mom that pushes to get things done. I don't believe that is what homeschooling should look like, or what parenting should look like either.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kirbymom:

This is not my best subject! lol I had to fight to get any kind of schedule for us going.  I have had to learn to write down what it is I wanted the kids to learn and then find the subject and give it a thurough look over and see how many pages or questions that I wanted them to cover, either for the day or for the week.  We finally settled on how many pages they are to do per day and then planned thir work with that in mind.  If they got done faster than was configured, we just adjusted their work and either added another subject or added to the subjects already being done. This year, I am going to incorporate the reading on a dime  theme.  We always get up between 7:30 & 8:00 am. School got started by 10 am, so we did the breakfast and chores in between that time.  Whatever chores didn't get done, the kids would make sure to get done with the evening's chores after dinner. School was done around 3 pm for the younger ones and 4 to 5 pm for the older ones. They also would do any school work if they found they weren't going to be done by Friday as all schoolwork had to be done if they planned on having a free weekend to themselves.  The best advice I can give you is... don't get too frustrated if some days just aren't working. Go with it.  Its really not the end of the world if you didn't learn the whole amount that was initally planned.  lol I had to learn this concept the hard way. I was just so afraid that I wasn't doing my job as my kids' teacher and that they wouldn't even graduate. Boy, was I ever over worried! LOL   I have my first graduate and another one on the way for next year. 

thank you! I just experienced this this mornings! lol I'd rather be a happy mom that didn't get done what she needed to than to be an unhappy frustrated mom that pushes to get things done. I don't believe that is what homeschooling should look like, or what parenting should look like either.

You're quite welcome.   When kids are small, it really is just a matter of going with the flow.  You can always add to what you're doing as they get older or get more advanced. I always made sure the basics were learned first and then really taught them everything beyond that as a plus.  If you ever get worried about the basics, just give them a litmus test of your own making. You know what you had to do in order to graduate. Take those memories and write your own tests.  When you grade their work, praise them for getting it done and then tell them that the only reason they even had a test was to find their strengths and advance them in those areas and find their weak points so that you can work on them and help  them to improve in those areas.  Then do so. From there its not so difficult really. In fact, it makes focusing a little easier to accomplish. At least it did for us.  If you find yourself slipping, just stop and take a day form the actual writing of school work and do something of interest on the internet that the kids find interesting. That shakes things up a bit and it allows some special time with them and they feel even more special for you doing so.  :)   Don't worry momma. You can do this. I did. You can too. I promise.  :) 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kirbymom:

This is not my best subject! lol I had to fight to get any kind of schedule for us going.  I have had to learn to write down what it is I wanted the kids to learn and then find the subject and give it a thurough look over and see how many pages or questions that I wanted them to cover, either for the day or for the week.  We finally settled on how many pages they are to do per day and then planned thir work with that in mind.  If they got done faster than was configured, we just adjusted their work and either added another subject or added to the subjects already being done. This year, I am going to incorporate the reading on a dime  theme.  We always get up between 7:30 & 8:00 am. School got started by 10 am, so we did the breakfast and chores in between that time.  Whatever chores didn't get done, the kids would make sure to get done with the evening's chores after dinner. School was done around 3 pm for the younger ones and 4 to 5 pm for the older ones. They also would do any school work if they found they weren't going to be done by Friday as all schoolwork had to be done if they planned on having a free weekend to themselves.  The best advice I can give you is... don't get too frustrated if some days just aren't working. Go with it.  Its really not the end of the world if you didn't learn the whole amount that was initally planned.  lol I had to learn this concept the hard way. I was just so afraid that I wasn't doing my job as my kids' teacher and that they wouldn't even graduate. Boy, was I ever over worried! LOL   I have my first graduate and another one on the way for next year. 

You're quite welcome.   When kids are small, it really is just a matter of going with the flow.  You can always add to what you're doing as they get older or get more advanced. I always made sure the basics were learned first and then really taught them everything beyond that as a plus.  If you ever get worried about the basics, just give them a litmus test of your own making. You know what you had to do in order to graduate. Take those memories and write your own tests.  When you grade their work, praise them for getting it done and then tell them that the only reason they even had a test was to find their strengths and advance them in those areas and find their weak points so that you can work on them and help  them to improve in those areas.  Then do so. From there its not so difficult really. In fact, it makes focusing a little easier to accomplish. At least it did for us.  If you find yourself slipping, just stop and take a day form the actual writing of school work and do something of interest on the internet that the kids find interesting. That shakes things up a bit and it allows some special time with them and they feel even more special for you doing so.  :)   Don't worry momma. You can do this. I did. You can too. I promise.  :) 

I don't remember the litmus test at all! Am I that old? lol

balancedmama
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

You don't HAVE to Have a "routine" if you don't want to have one. 

I'd suggest (and use for myself) something more like a list of lessons to do/things to accomplish for each week and then accomplish those things by the end of the week. 

For things that need practice like handwriting or spelling, you might do something for each day like "ten minutes" of . . . and make sure these things get worked in before lunch time. 

We consistently get up and "ready to start the day - breakfast, teeth brushing etc. before eight" and she goes to bed at 8:30 when we don't have a play or rehearsals.  Other than that, my schedule is somewhat dictated by our moods on any given day.  I also try to have her do the things that are hardest for her in the first half hour of the day and then again for about half an hour after we eat lunch if they didn't get finished up.  (It is easier to get her to practice handwriting when she feels refreshed than when she is tired).

I use a magnetic board and a bunch of lesson "cards" I made (they have magnets on the back) that are posted and each day we remove cards as we accomplish the tasks on the cards.  You can see my blog for how to set it up if you'd like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)