Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have a special request.

I am not good at schedules and routines.  I have tried to make and keep them and I just can't do it!

Wold someone give me their routine, or help me out with mine. The reason I'm asking is because I know my 5 yr old thrives on routines and schedules. I'm want us to have a good start homeschooling especially since my DH is completely against it.

Here are some thing in our schedule already for next year. Mondays we meet friends at the park, however the time may be changing, where we use to meet around lunchtime, but during the summer people seem to be coming in the morning. We would like ot continue this.

Wednesdays from 8-12 we have Classical conversations class. We cover all subjects from science experiments, fine arts, grammar (english, latin, math, science, geography, and history).

Th rest of the days I want to make sure to include bible study every morning, some math, reading and writing, the things we learn in class on wednesdays, some arts and crafts. (the arts and crafts don't have to be daily. I'm also hoping to have the kids in some sort of sport or gymnastics, not sure which one yet.

Thank you so much!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-12):
Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Quoting balancedmama:

You don't HAVE to Have a "routine" if you don't want to have one. 

I'd suggest (and use for myself) something more like a list of lessons to do/things to accomplish for each week and then accomplish those things by the end of the week. 

For things that need practice like handwriting or spelling, you might do something for each day like "ten minutes" of . . . and make sure these things get worked in before lunch time. 

We consistently get up and "ready to start the day - breakfast, teeth brushing etc. before eight" and she goes to bed at 8:30 when we don't have a play or rehearsals.  Other than that, my schedule is somewhat dictated by our moods on any given day.  I also try to have her do the things that are hardest for her in the first half hour of the day and then again for about half an hour after we eat lunch if they didn't get finished up.  (It is easier to get her to practice handwriting when she feels refreshed than when she is tired).

I use a magnetic board and a bunch of lesson "cards" I made (they have magnets on the back) that are posted and each day we remove cards as we accomplish the tasks on the cards.  You can see my blog for how to set it up if you'd like.

thats a good idea! maybe a good compromise

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
buzymom93
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

we don't  use a schedule.. 

Christian Unschooling Mamma to my Adventurous 7yr old, Isaiah and mamma to my oldest, Mario 19yrs old and daughter in law Kristi.... Excited Grandma to my grandson Russel age 17months and my soon to be grandson due Dec. 6th....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN