Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't see the point

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
This is what I get when I talk to some of my parents friends. They say I don't see the point in homeschooling other then for religious reasons. Public schools did fine for my children and they were really smart. Okay for one I know a fact not everyone homeschools for religious reasons and I would be doing it to give my child the best possible education there is, I would evwn be okay with online public schools because I can still be able to help my child out in all areas of education and there is a lot more room for field trips for what he is learning. Am I the only one who is this way. I just need to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

no book,  theres millions of others out there!!!!!!

i homeschool cuz i want to, its my right!!!, i can teach them better than the crowded school rooms, i want to know what they are being taught and i dont like bullying

Bookoholic
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I cant afford much, were on PA and im in school almost done to be a LPN.

Quoting oredeb:

i homeschool cuz i want to, its my right!!!, i can teach them better than the crowded school rooms, i want to know what they are being taught and i dont like bullying

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, you are not alone.  I homeschool because we live an organic lifestyle and we live in an area where that is viewed as crazy!  He was bullied over some of our choices and not just by the students, but by the teachers as well.

Not only are we "green" but we are Libertarians as well.  And let me tell you, around here it's a foreign concept that we own our own bodies, our own properties, and our own children.

zebrachick83
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

People need to be quiet and have a seat sometimes. One of the reasons homeschooling is so effective is because it can be tailored to the learning style of each child. Ask those same people how many of them actually love to learn and how many of them did what they had to do to get through school. I bet the answer would be different.

I love homeschooling because it helps our kids get excited about learning as a part of life. Sure, they'd probably do fine with their schoolwork in public school, but I think they'd be more focused on what to learn rather than WHY they should learn.

Homeschooling, writing, JW mom to three. Wife to one and only. expecting girl

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

The main reason WE decided was b/c our DD is super bright and if she was put into a B&M classroom she would be bored and stifled.  She was reading before she turned 4, she knew her letters and the sounds they made at 18 mos.  These are important for me.  She can do Kindergarten level math and phonics.  She can't even start Kindergarten for another year according to the school district.  I can tailor to her and supplement where needed at home.  I love this about what WE as parents have chosen for our children.

gratefulgal
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

same reasons as above, but wanted to add that we are on PA as well, and just to let you know--- keeping your child at home for school saves the government/ state at $10,000 per child per YEAR. So you shouldn't feel guilty or anything. Hope this helps.

Also, try not to care so much about what others think. We learn the hard way with this, but even the people who support you one day may not support you the next.

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

you can make homeschooling cost as much as you want, when my kids were little it didnt cost me anything, well the cost of paper but i bought that while it was on sale! always bought enough for the whole year. congratulations on becoming an lpn!!!!

Quoting Bookoholic:

I cant afford much, were on PA and im in school almost done to be a LPN.

Quoting oredeb:

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Religion was not one of the reasons we decided to homeschool. We originally started because my oldest that has Autism was struggling in the PS system & falling through the cracks as well as getting bullied on a daily basses by the students & staff. We continu to homeschool because I know my children are better off with out it!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

You are absolutely NOT alone!

I agree! Wholeheartedly, I might add. 

Quoting oredeb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN