Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi my name is Monica.  I have been homeschooling for over 2 years.  My princess is 5 years old.  I have been using just regular workbooks and created my own lessons for preschool and Kinder.  Now she will start 1st grade and thinking of using a curriculum that will be already set out lesson plans etc.  I have been a cafemom member for a long time but have not used it at all to the capicity it has. So, I am new to this, a bit overwhelming LOL.

What suggestions can anyone give me for a 1st grade curriculum.  Victoria likes interactive, hands on learning.  She loves music.  

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.  

Thanks you.

God bless. 

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (11-14):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

You can still write your own lesson plans. But when I do use curriculum, I like the ones created by home school families, because they understand that home school is not the classroom

Ring Around The Phonics (Language arts curriculum for K through 6) is such a curriculum, and is excellent for hands on learners   

This link may also be helpful Grade Level Requirements

mhoefel
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Hi sorry for the late reply. Well I will be using Horizon phonics and math. I will be starting Tuesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lightningshadow
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Elemental Science publications are hands-on divided into 36 weeks to cover the entire year which are further divided into units (1 unit=4 weeks of lesson plans).  http://www.elementalscience.com/

Hooked on Phonics I hear is good. They also have Hooked on Spanish!

Rosetta Stone or Muffy vids for foreign language if you want.

I've heard of Handwriting without Tears for handwriting

P.E. and swim in YMCA (at least they have those two for home school kids here)

Some people use Lifepac (christian based)

Saxon Math for math (or singapore math)

Oak Meadow I hear is good (that's secular)

Abeka may be worth a try (not sure if it's Bible Based or Secular)

You could also use ABC Mouse (they have stuff from 2-6 years old)

Jump StartMath Blaster (used math blaster from I think 1st-3rd grade when I was a kid)

Oh and welcome!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Welcome! I'm Shannon one of the mods for this lovely group.

1st grade is a bit of a bridge. It has some of the hands on fun of the younger grades and some of the more serious learning for the older grades. I loved www.letteroftheweek.com when my kids were little, and www.time4learning.com

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN