Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you prefer curriculum with a Mastery or Spiral approach?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 18 Replies
Do you prefer one over the other or one for younger and one for older. Or is it by how your child learns?

My son(7) did not do well with mastery, he is now using spiral. My daughter(4) is doing really good with mastery so far(she's using ds's book from last year)

My plan is to move them both to a mastery curriculum when they get to be in the upper middle grades.

Which do you prefer?
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure I know exactly what the difference is.  Spiral means they learn little bits of new material and then do a lot of the old stuff in the practice time.  Mastery is that you don't move on until you've mastered the concept.  (Tell me if I'm wrong) So I guess I do both.  We only move on little steps, but we don't move on until they show me that they've mastered the last little step.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm not sure I know exactly what the difference is.  Spiral means they learn little bits of new material and then do a lot of the old stuff in the practice time.  Mastery is that you don't move on until you've mastered the concept.  (Tell me if I'm wrong) So I guess I do both.  We only move on little steps, but we don't move on until they show me that they've mastered the last little step.

Yes you are right. I guess I should have worded it, which curriculum you prefer.
When we used k12 for my son it was mastery..and he struggled with it. He is using a spiral curriculum this year and is doing really well. Dd is using ds's from last year and is doing really well. I still make sure ds knows the stuff before we move on..but he does better when he has to practice it on a daily basis.
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

we use both mastery and spiral, for us it just depends on the child, and the subject

Danielle163
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I use both at the same time.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes you are right. I guess I should have worded it, which curriculum you prefer.
When we used k12 for my son it was mastery..and he struggled with it. He is using a spiral curriculum this year and is doing really well. Dd is using ds's from last year and is doing really well. I still make sure ds knows the stuff before we move on..but he does better when he has to practice it on a daily basis.

We use k12 and it is a mastery program, but they only teach little bites at a time.  So I add some review practice most days.  Especially with math facts.  I don't think they practice enough with those.  So we like the mastery approach, but add some spiral "drills".  KWIM?

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sounds like a good plan. :)
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Definitely mastery!! Spiral is too confusing.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I actually have no idea what either are. We'll be using math-u-see. I do NOT want to do it like public schools where you "learn"(aka memorize and forget) something new every day and only get to practice on it with one homework assignment. I hated that when I got to high school.
Actually when I was in 4th grade we did math at our own pace. The teacher had worksheets in order in files and we just did whatever worksheet was next in the box, graded it ourselves then moved to the next one (as long as we passed that worksheet) oh plus we got a peanut each time we did a worksheet. I was multiplying and dividing fractions in 4th grade while others were still mastering multiplication or even addition of long numbers. That was my best math experience in school.

I want my daughter to truly understand the material before moving on. Is that mastery? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

We are using mastery for English and spiral (incremental) for math. I think, for us, it is more than one or the other. It involves the whole presentation of the curriculum, not just the order.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I believe Math-U-See is mastery.

Quoting armygirl16:

I actually have no idea what either are. We'll be using math-u-see. I do NOT want to do it like public schools where you "learn"(aka memorize and forget) something new every day and only get to practice on it with one homework assignment. I hated that when I got to high school.
Actually when I was in 4th grade we did math at our own pace. The teacher had worksheets in order in files and we just did whatever worksheet was next in the box, graded it ourselves then moved to the next one (as long as we passed that worksheet) oh plus we got a peanut each time we did a worksheet. I was multiplying and dividing fractions in 4th grade while others were still mastering multiplication or even addition of long numbers. That was my best math experience in school.

I want my daughter to truly understand the material before moving on. Is that mastery? Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)