Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT Fun!!: If you were president, name three things that you would change about the country right away.

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 32 Replies

a fun post!!! what would you do????????????????

If you were president, name three things that you would change about the country right away.

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

The President doesn't have the power that is necessary to do what I think should be done, but I'd like to see No Child Left Behind repealed and the power given back to the states (where it belongs).  The IRS closed and a flat tax implemented (I'd have to do some research, but I think 10% would do it.  But anyone making less than a certain %age of the national median income wouldn't pay)  And I would pull all our troops home from everywhere and tell them to fend for themselves.

Okay.... GO!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I agree with you on the No Child Left Behind.  I would take it a step further though.  I would get rid of the Board of Education (national not state).  The states need to have the right to govern the school systems as they see fit.  I have not really seen anything good come out of the No Child Left Behind Act.  I think when it was implemented they really thought it would help.  But I think it has actually slowed learning down.

I also agree with you on the flat 10% tax rate for everyone.  I believe this would really help the economy. 

I agree with you to a point on your third thing as well.  I do feel that it is necessary to have troups in some areas.  The only time I believe we should get involved is if it affects the U.S.  Iran is a great example of that.  They are producing nuclear weapons and I think that we should destroy their nuclear plants.  I'm sure that would cause some problems with Iran, but it would be for safety.  Eventually they will have nuclear weapons strong enough to hit the U.S.  I just don't understand why we shouldn't just go ahead and take it out since we know about it.

I would have allowed the Keystone Pipeline so that our country can get off dependency on foreign oil.

I could go on and on, but you said only three things.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The President doesn't have the power that is necessary to do what I think should be done, but I'd like to see No Child Left Behind repealed and the power given back to the states (where it belongs).  The IRS closed and a flat tax implemented (I'd have to do some research, but I think 10% would do it.  But anyone making less than a certain %age of the national median income wouldn't pay)  And I would pull all our troops home from everywhere and tell them to fend for themselves.

Okay.... GO!

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

keep going star!!!!!!

Quoting starbeck96:

I agree with you on the No Child Left Behind.  I would take it a step further though.  I would get rid of the Board of Education (national not state).  The states need to have the right to govern the school systems as they see fit.  I have not really seen anything good come out of the No Child Left Behind Act.  I think when it was implemented they really thought it would help.  But I think it has actually slowed learning down.

I also agree with you on the flat 10% tax rate for everyone.  I believe this would really help the economy. 

I agree with you to a point on your third thing as well.  I do feel that it is necessary to have troups in some areas.  The only time I believe we should get involved is if it affects the U.S.  Iran is a great example of that.  They are producing nuclear weapons and I think that we should destroy their nuclear plants.  I'm sure that would cause some problems with Iran, but it would be for safety.  Eventually they will have nuclear weapons strong enough to hit the U.S.  I just don't understand why we shouldn't just go ahead and take it out since we know about it.

I would have allowed the Keystone Pipeline so that our country can get off dependency on foreign oil.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

This.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Okay.... GO!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I thought everyone was going to think I was nuts!  HA! I was amazed to see I agree.

On the troops, I wonder if we pulled our troops out of everywhere what good repercussions it would have.  I think Iran would have bigger (closer) fish to fry than the US.  I don't like them having nuclear, but I don't like us having it either.  There was once a map of all our military posts around Iran and seeing it in the light of "what would we do if another country had all those bases around us."  It made me begin to wonder how much our interference in the ME causes the problems there to escalate rather than diminish.

Anyway, I was just surprised that someone agreed.  My family thinks my political ideas are nuts.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Okay.... GO!

balancedmama
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Get rid of no child left behind and take away power from school boards - education decisions aren't the kinds of things that should be voted on.  Communities should set the subject areas on a smaller scale related to what is locally most important while leaders in subject areas (with an ED background) should set national standards as guidelines so there is some consistency from state to state.  Testing should not be the main focus, skills should be.

Flat taxes, no loopholes everyone pays their fair share.

Work on environmentally policy that encourages LOCAL changes on all fronts - energy included.  For example, Solar is great for homes in the southwest, but isn't the best option for those in the Northwest. 

Expand Jobs by repealing things like NAFTA and raising tariffs on imported goods (bringing jobs BACK to the US that used to be here) and investing in training programs to update skills in our workforce.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Careful now. ya'all are making me feel as though maybe I'm not crazy!

Quoting lucsch:

This.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Okay.... GO!

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Dismantle the IRS and install a flat tax.   Set term limits for the Senate and House.   Stop insurance companies from making medical/health decisions.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Well some things I will just keep to myself so I don't start an argument.....lol.

One thing I would change (with the help of Congress) is to do away with president appointed supreme court justices.  I would make it so that they were voted on by the American people.  Right now the Supreme Court is pretty much just a political statement.  If they are democrat they usually side with democrats, if they are republicans, they pretty much vote to satisfy republicans.  I know that this did not happen in the last case but that was rare..lol.

I would also do away with the national health care tax (ObamaCare).  I know that our insurance system needs fixing.  But the national government does not need to be involved.  There are certain things that I like about Obamacare (such as the insurance company can't deny you based on past illness).  All you have to do is look at Medicare and Medicaid to see that they can't run a healthcare system.  What needs to happen is that they need to allow insurance companies to compete over state lines.  This would definitely decrease the cost some.  Hospitals also need to charge a patient with no insurance the same as those with insurance.  Insurance companies have a set amount that they will pay for certain services.  Why not offer this same rate for those without insurance.  I am sure that someone smarter than I am could come up with more ways to lower insurance costs so that most people could afford it.

Quoting oredeb:

keep going star!!!!!!

Quoting starbeck96:

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Quoting balancedmama:

Get rid of no child left behind and take away power from school boards - education decisions aren't the kinds of things that should be voted on.  Communities should set the subject areas on a smaller scale related to what is locally most important while leaders in subject areas (with an ED background) should set national standards as guidelines so there is some consistency from state to state.  Testing should not be the main focus, skills should be.

Flat taxes, no loopholes everyone pays their fair share.

Work on environmentally policy that encourages LOCAL changes on all fronts - energy included.  For example, Solar is great for homes in the southwest, but isn't the best option for those in the Northwest. 

Expand Jobs by repealing things like NAFTA and raising tariffs on imported goods (bringing jobs BACK to the US that used to be here) and investing in training programs to update skills in our workforce.

I love this!  I have said this for years. 

I have never liked standardized testing.  There are some kids who are very smart but are just not good at taking tests.  They should not base failure on these type of tests.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)