Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it? Math facts timed drills.

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 43 Replies

Do you do timed drills?  Do they reduce everyone to tears?  How do you teach math facts?

LOVE it or LEAVE it?

woohoo or devil

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

We taught math facts on car trips! DH would toss out a set of numbers and DD (older) would have to multiply or divide and DS would add or subtract. It was more fun for both of them and they competed against each other for speed.

Speed becomes more of an issue at the middle and high school level when they need to have those facts down cold so they can progress to more theoretical maths. If they spend all their time counting on their fingers, they won't be able to do the advanced work.

It took DD forever to learn her facts until she hit Pre-Algebra in 7th grade. It only took her a couple of weeks of struggling to keep up before she realized what she needed to do, knuckled down, and memorized them within a week.

Programs that teach lots of alternate ways to get to those basic facts are fine, but in the end, the kids just plain need to know them.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

We do not do timed drills much to the dismay of my mother in law... My daughter stresses out SO much at just the thought of being timed (and even when I don't tell her she is being timed she somehow knows...) that she usually does worse than doing a worksheet or flash cards. I'm not too worried on speed yet, once we get closer to the middle school years and she is still taking forever - then we have a problem... In the mean time, we'll just practice randomly throughout the day. (My kids are starting to realize if they tell me they're bored, they either have some chore I don't want to do or they have a ton of spelling and or math facts to occupy their time...they haven't been bored lately lol)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

We do not do timed drills much to the dismay of my mother in law... My daughter stresses out SO much at just the thought of being timed (and even when I don't tell her she is being timed she somehow knows...) that she usually does worse than doing a worksheet or flash cards. I'm not too worried on speed yet, once we get closer to the middle school years and she is still taking forever - then we have a problem... In the mean time, we'll just practice randomly throughout the day. (My kids are starting to realize if they tell me they're bored, they either have some chore I don't want to do or they have a ton of spelling and or math facts to occupy their time...they haven't been bored lately lol)

I do that,too!  Mine never say they are bored!

My oldest is only 7, and he just breaks down any time he is timed.  He's okay with the games that require speed, so I use those instead of the drills.  But lately I've tried having him beat his best time.  One of the ladies on here gave me that advice.  I'm still not sold on it, but we're trying it.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Leave it!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

That sounds like a fun way to practice!  I would rather not make it an issue at this young age, but I've heard that it is timed on the standardized test he'll take in 3rd grade.  Since they are sending him the 3rd grade curriculum, I'm not sure if he'll have to take the standardized test this year or next.  So I figure we could use some practice.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We taught math facts on car trips! DH would toss out a set of numbers and DD (older) would have to multiply or divide and DS would add or subtract. It was more fun for both of them and they competed against each other for speed.

Speed becomes more of an issue at the middle and high school level when they need to have those facts down cold so they can progress to more theoretical maths. If they spend all their time counting on their fingers, they won't be able to do the advanced work.

It took DD forever to learn her facts until she hit Pre-Algebra in 7th grade. It only took her a couple of weeks of struggling to keep up before she realized what she needed to do, knuckled down, and memorized them within a week.

Programs that teach lots of alternate ways to get to those basic facts are fine, but in the end, the kids just plain need to know them.

tinkerspell
by Kera on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Everything is timed if i dont she get most of tje answers wrong ans takes her forever to do them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We are going to do them this year.  We were timed when I was in PS in 3rd grade.  I finished 3rd grade as the fastest multiplication facts student.  I completed my sheet of about 100 in under 2 mins.  I think they are important.  They have drills everyday starting on day 6 in 1st grade with our curriculum.  I am excited.  My 6 yo works better and learns better if she is drilled everyday.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Leave it!

How do they get automaticity?  Just a lot of practice in real life scenarios or do they just pick it up?  Or is that just not a big deal?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Quoting tinkerspell:

Everything is timed if i dont she get most of tje answers wrong ans takes her forever to do them

Mine gets more wrong if he's timed, mostly due to panic.  But if he's not timed it takes him forever.  I'm trying to strike some balance, but failing. miserably.

raczac
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was timed at school last year n k. He loves it that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)