Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What changes are you making?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 23 Replies

Are you making any changes this coming school year?  Teaching style, more or less of something, organization, curriculum, etc.....

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

For us, it will be less worksheets and more hands on activities.  I'm also taking more of a lead from the kids this year as to what they want to learn, and if I see them showing an interest in something then we can veer off in that direction.  I will still turn to scope and sequence as a guide to follow and still buy curruculum, but will include more library time, books, games and "fun" learning.  This past year I've learned that learning can happen in so many ways and doesn't have to be constant seat work.  I couldn't really see that before but I'm thankful my kids taught me that this past year. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

We are going back to a more structured curriculum (AO Yr4), 3-6 field trips per month, and as much dyslexia remediation as we can handle.  I'm planning a lot more art, crafts, and nature study this year as well.  

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I haven't made any changes in so many yrs. lol   Took me yrs to find what I really liked and haven't really changed anything in a long time :-)

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I think I'm more organized with their schooling (we've continued throughout the summer), and I'm focusing less on workbooks and more on other things (unit studies, hands-on activities, etc).

ladybug617
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM
3 moms liked this

we're actually keeping grades this year!  making the kids accountable for their work.  My son was getting in the "I don't feel like it" mood last year, and didn't even finish learning the stuff he needed to move on to the next grade!  So, I held him back, and now, the rule is, You don't pass, You don't play! (baseball, dance, friend's house, etc.)  we've been at it for 3 weeks now, and things seem to be going great!

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We made changes to the organization of stuff.  I have gotten more stuff to keep supplies organized for each child.  I also bought 3 ring binders to put our workbook stuff in.  I had a book tearing and then hole punch party.  I enjoyed it.  I have also restructured how the lessons will be distributed for the kids as well.  We are hoping this works or I will have to revamp the system before Christmas b/c my younger will start kindergarten after Christmas.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I am doing a morning board to help us focus a bit more and to have a more 'start' of the day, so to speak. My oldest is in 6th grade so I feel we need more structure for her and my 7yo needs a schedule. He just can't handle doing 'whatever' day to day.

BramblePatch
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
We have drifted from an ecclectic charlotte mason approach to a waldorf-inspired approach....this will be our first year using Oak Meadow. I think it will be a much better fit for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

We will be using Oak Meadow for the first time this year too.  It's a different approach for us but the kids are excited.  I think we will enjoy all the hands on arts and crafts. 

Quoting BramblePatch:

We have drifted from an ecclectic charlotte mason approach to a waldorf-inspired approach....this will be our first year using Oak Meadow. I think it will be a much better fit for us.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

We completely changed our curriculum this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN