Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What changes are you making?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you making any changes this coming school year?  Teaching style, more or less of something, organization, curriculum, etc.....

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Replies (21-23):
black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Curriculum is forever changing. We are eclectic homeschoolers and go year round. I just joined a new co-op that is starting this year though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

If you're going to wait till next year they have a 20% off sale every may.  I plan on stashing $$ away through out the year and taking advantage of the sale.  It gets a bit pricey with 2 kids.  This year I bought used.  Also here's some OM reviews        http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=168

Quoting Boobah:

Thank you!!! No, I had not seen that. That helps me, definitely. I think we will keep our curric the year and reconsider next year. I need to do more research, but I do like it. It's just too close to go time for me to have to plan all over again.

Quoting irvinehiker:

don't know if you found this yet, it's a link to  a 2nd grade sample

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/sample-lessons/second-grade-lesson.pdf

Quoting Boobah:

Ugh! I wish I could get my hands on a copy to SEE. I am such a visual "feel it in my hands" kind of person. They don't give any samples to look at.

Quoting irvinehiker:

We are doing 2nd and 4th.  I have all the books and we actually just started today.  The math is included in the k-3rd syllabus, but after that it is a  seperate purchase.  From what I see so far you are writing a lot of the math problems.  The math is not really enough for us.  I use a lot of Montessori methods to teach math.   I'm also supplementing with time4learning.com for both kids.  I really love Oak Meadow.  It's completely different than anything I've seen, but a good fit for us.   

What grade are you?  I was just looking at this today and am intrigued!  Have you already received your supplies?  I am curious to know how they do math.  Is everything in that book, or is there a seperate math book?  Are there math lessons, or more living math?

Quoting irvinehiker:

We will be using Oak Meadow for the first time this year too.  It's a different approach for us but the kids are excited.  I think we will enjoy all the hands on arts and crafts. 

Quoting BramblePatch:

We have drifted from an ecclectic charlotte mason approach to a waldorf-inspired approach....this will be our first year using Oak Meadow. I think it will be a much better fit for us.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

oooh!  Thank you!  I was looking at used as well, but it really isn't much cheaper.  I did find a used 2nd grade syllabus for $50, normally $200.  Hopefully I can find a deal like that next year.  LOL!

Quoting irvinehiker:

If you're going to wait till next year they have a 20% off sale every may.  I plan on stashing $$ away through out the year and taking advantage of the sale.  It gets a bit pricey with 2 kids.  This year I bought used.  Also here's some OM reviews        http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=168

Quoting Boobah:

Thank you!!! No, I had not seen that. That helps me, definitely. I think we will keep our curric the year and reconsider next year. I need to do more research, but I do like it. It's just too close to go time for me to have to plan all over again.

Quoting irvinehiker:

don't know if you found this yet, it's a link to  a 2nd grade sample

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/sample-lessons/second-grade-lesson.pdf

Quoting Boobah:

Ugh! I wish I could get my hands on a copy to SEE. I am such a visual "feel it in my hands" kind of person. They don't give any samples to look at.

Quoting irvinehiker:

We are doing 2nd and 4th.  I have all the books and we actually just started today.  The math is included in the k-3rd syllabus, but after that it is a  seperate purchase.  From what I see so far you are writing a lot of the math problems.  The math is not really enough for us.  I use a lot of Montessori methods to teach math.   I'm also supplementing with time4learning.com for both kids.  I really love Oak Meadow.  It's completely different than anything I've seen, but a good fit for us.   

What grade are you?  I was just looking at this today and am intrigued!  Have you already received your supplies?  I am curious to know how they do math.  Is everything in that book, or is there a seperate math book?  Are there math lessons, or more living math?

Quoting irvinehiker:

We will be using Oak Meadow for the first time this year too.  It's a different approach for us but the kids are excited.  I think we will enjoy all the hands on arts and crafts. 

Quoting BramblePatch:

We have drifted from an ecclectic charlotte mason approach to a waldorf-inspired approach....this will be our first year using Oak Meadow. I think it will be a much better fit for us.

WAHM behind Coco Bear Cloth and Nikki's Little house as well as retailer for several major brands including BumGenius, Flip, GroVia, Rockin Green, Melissa & Doug, Piggy Paint natural nail polish and more!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN