Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you get encouragement when you get discouraged?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband. He thinks I can do anything.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Irvine, I hide in the bathroom with my chocolate! It is the only place I can get even a couple seconds of quiet.

Yep!!  The bathroom is a good place.  It has a door that LOCKS! 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I only smoked for the four years of college, so I haven't smoked in 10 years.  When I get really stressed out I still need that lightheaded feeling you get from really hard drags.  So hubby took a straw and shoved a Q-tip in it.  I go on th porch and have a few drags on it.  Your Coke sounds more sane right now, doesn't it? 

Personally I get support from my church and you ladies here on CM!  And MY MOM!!!!  She's awesome!

Quoting mem82:

Aw, thanks! I'm always slightly embarrassed that 5 years later, I'm still emotionally dependant on them. LOL Like an ex husband that still comes fixes the car when I call even though there was a nasty divorce.

The kiddos know that if I have to step outside in the middle of the day, they better leave me alone or the you know what is going to hit the fan. 8)

Quoting irvinehiker:

NO mem that is NOT pitiful!!!  That's awesome that you haven't smoked in 5 years!  Everyone copes and there's nothing wrong with coping.  I cope with caffeine and chocolate!  I keep my chocolate hidden.  The only trick is sneaking away for 5 minutes where no one can find me to eat my treat. 

Quoting mem82:

Out of a bottle! LOL A Coke bottle that is. When ever I feel down, I always stop everything and go drink a Coke outside on the porch. It's an odd replacement for the cigarettes. LOL I haven't smoked in 5 years and I still go pretend too whenever I'm stressed.

That's kind of pitiful, isn't it?

sheila5745
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Quoting mem82:

Out of a bottle! LOL A Coke bottle that is. When ever I feel down, I always stop everything and go drink a Coke outside on the porch. It's an odd replacement for the cigarettes. LOL I haven't smoked in 5 years and I still go pretend too whenever I'm stressed.

That's kind of pitiful, isn't it?

It is not pitiful..... Forget the coke with me as I am trying to lose some weight, So I have an Ice tea.. I quit smoking I quit smoking 20 years ago, so I get the licerish)? out.. It fit just right between the 2 fingers!!! LOL

sheila5745
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I get mine from the Great wonderful Lord, he can rise me up.. Make me feel like I am really in charge!! My husband is wonderful. He has faith in me, no matter how bad it gets, or just sounds bad..I also get my strength from you ladies and the few friends outside of cafemom.

Yes some times I still want a smoke after quitting 20 years ago. But 1 thing I do, and noone has bothered me yet. If I am really stressed. I will tell the kids 1 of us needs a time out and I think it is me!!! I will go to my room and shut the door.. I can get as long as 30 minutes, before the child comes to see if I am O.K. and then she says she is sorry.. Sooo Sweat.. Have a great day all..

avonleajules1
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Prayer, reading the Scripture, other homeschoolers, talking wtih my husband, and reading encouraging.

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I have a petty vengeful side to me that loves to shove it in the naysayer's faces when they're wrong. I am a complete lady about it with them but inside my head I'm saying, "In yo' face sucka!" LOL I'm a hard headed and obstinate woman so it isn't easy for others to discourage me from what I feel passionate about. What encourages me constantly is seeing my sons flourish. And I have two autistic sons. If I had allowed discouragement to creep in my sons wouldn't be where they are today.
southernwldchld
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TheCrooners:

I have a petty vengeful side to me that loves to shove it in the naysayer's faces when they're wrong. I am a complete lady about it with them but inside my head I'm saying, "In yo' face sucka!" LOL I'm a hard headed and obstinate woman so it isn't easy for others to discourage me from what I feel passionate about. What encourages me constantly is seeing my sons flourish. And I have two autistic sons. If I had allowed discouragement to creep in my sons wouldn't be where they are today.

Oh I have to bite my tongue constantly with exSIL. She was completely against it, and when ds had such a hard time learning to read at first (he's dyslexic), she thought it was just her being right. Now, ds is ahead of the curve in all subjects and she's calling me to complain that her ds wasn't being taught anything past single digit with two digit addition at the end of his 1st grade year. I may or may not have slipped in that ds's were into three to four digit addition with regrouping at the end of 1st...and that dd is naturally understanding the idea behind multiplication now. Oh, and ask them their opinion on the elections...or whether dinosaurs should be cloned, or anything really. They have fantastic opinions on everything and I think that's my favorite part of home schooling is getting to hear them. It took a while to get past the bitter "Hey look what they can do" moments. My exMIL was convinced ds's couldn't add because they wouldn't perform on command. I told her they could actually multiply, they just didn't like being a trick monkey. 

PEEK05
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

CafeMom :)

PEEK05
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

In real life, my husband and my mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)