Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Schedule problems are driving me bonkers

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I have been working on our schedule for all of our school stuff. We're not technically starting school until October due to a bunch of family events happening in Sept. I didn't find it pointful to start, stop for almost a month, and then start again... Everything seemed to be going great as far as scheduling was going. We'd be done by the last week of May with only one or two more classes sneaking into at the most the second week of June. Not too bad I thought as I was working on the year and monthly overviews. Then I got into the weekly and daily part of our schedule and I realized. I didn't "pencil in" Christmas vacation. I usually wouldn't care but this year we're traveling out of state and then having to race home for the other side of the family to visit for New Years...it just wouldn't work to try and keep up with everything.
We haven't even figure out what days we're gonig to be gone or what days family are going to be here so I don't even know when and where to write it all in but it feels like EVERYTHING needs to be switched around.
I know homeschooling can be flexible and doesn't have to be so structured but if we don't have some what of a plan nothing seems to get done. Also, last year was just chaotic for us and everyone depended on me waaaaay too much. If I got sick, the whole house was basically on lock down. No one knew what to do or anything. So this year has called for the schedule...Even monthly meal plans have been written up. That way if I get sick, SOMEONE - shouldn't matter who everything is so stinkin' detailed lol - can fill in for me and not be lost as to what is going on. The only other part of my schedule that I can't figure out how to at least set up is Math and Spelling which are both mastery type programs... I used Excell to write it all up so that I can drag and drop things around if need be or at least easily change things as I go and I figured that would help with those two subjects. That darn vacation is still really throwing me off!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Can't you do something even if it is a partial day on the days that you have family with you?  You can turn just about anything into a learning experience.  You just have to get creative.  We will probably be taking the several weeks off between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We have a boxed curriculum so things are all ready planned out for me.  I am sorry that I can't be of more help.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM

What about carschooling? OR sneak in a little bit of time here and there. OR change the year and school into the summer. I had a couple chaotic years (LONG story) and I still tried to sneak in worksheets (like 5 a day or so), I read to the kids. I had them write letters, etc. It wasn't ideal, but it did work.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM

because of how crazy last year was I went to more of boxed curriculum but none of the curriculums were scheduled out since they're all work at your own pace for the most part. The few subjects that we're doing on our own I'm not so worried about.  I don't mind taking the week or two off I just have to redo everything and I don't know how to plan for it entirely. I planned on bringing math worksheets with us to keep up with while we were gone but I don't want to drag everything along (for art, history, and science). I don't mind working into the summer too since we're having a late start. I just know that I'm going to hear a lot of crap from everyone in my family and they will go out of the way to sabotage things they don't agree with...
I'm probably stressing over nothing and need to step away from it for a day or two until I have more of the dates worked out in detail when we'll be gone. I'm just frustrated since I've worked on this for almost a week now and have to change a huge chunk of it....

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'd double up once a week, on one subject a day.

Mondays - Double Math

Tuesdays- Double Language

so on and so forth

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My house depends way too much on me, too.

mrs.musquiz
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

the great thing about homeschooling is that you can do it almost anywhere. Even if you're only doing half of your schedule on your vacation days, its better than nothing. I've scheduled to start on aug. 20th. I've included a fall, winter and spring break. The fall break is only a few days though. Also major holidays are off days. We should finish up in the middle of May.  I would say, as long as you have 36 weeks of instruction, you will be fine. There is a lot of flexability in homeschooling.

Truebesos
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I would schedule through the first semester and wait.  I know that really feels "half finished" but I have put the effort into scheduling an entire year only for it to change after three weeks. 

So much can change through the course of an semester anyway, children may need more help or even fly through the lessons! Nowadays I work on our schedule one month at a time so I don't get too far ahead.  I do map out an entire semester ahead but don't put page numbers and such because I like to get a feel for what the kids' pace is in that activity.

Mainly, don't beat yourself up (hard to do I know) if it isn't all completely ironed out.  Homeschooling can be so much more than just workbooks and curriculum.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I was worried about scheduling issues for us this year, so I have only really made plans for up to Thanksgiving. Then once we get to there I will take a look at the situation and see where we are at, and redo things if need be.
I also have my kids go ahead and work ahead in subjects every week. Not in everything..but in Math, Language etc. History and Science are very detailed this year and may spill into next year, which isn't an issue for us. I have even let ds work ahead in spelling, he is two weeks ahead right now.
I definitely understand you wanting to be more structure and scheduled. It is always helpful in the long run. I have a monthly meal plan and it is a lifesaver!
One of my personal goals has been to get my oldest doing more on his own this year. It is rough when everyone needs you.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I agree with some of the pp's, only schedule to the section of break. Treat it like a semester in college. I've found that with mastery programs it's almost impossible to predict the entire year. I try to block out a skeleton plan, but it changes with the wind so I'm constantly moving things around.

I have a vascular disease so I make up a skeleton schedule and prep files of lapbooks, science projects, etc, so the kids can do school work while I'm laid up. My kids do science and math every day, but now that they are 11 & 8 I don't have to be riding herd quite as much. I try to follow a child-led plan, so what that means for us is that I put together almost work boxes, with everything they need to learn some specific subject. Then the kids can choose what to do which 'box' to pick, etc. as long as they are doing SOMETHING then I'm happy. Lol.
Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I found that trying to schedule everything just made things more stressful, instead of being helpful. With my migraines and my son's migraines, if I try to schedule things, I have a panic attack when we have to deviate from the schedule. Something that someone told me a few years ago when I first started homeschooling, was to remember that the first word in "homeschooling" is "home", not "school". It took me a long time, to get out of the "school" mode. I still struggle with it sometimes.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)