Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone utilize books on tape?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

How do you get the kids to pay attention to them? I'd like to have some down time with them listening to one while doing something else, but I'm not quite sure how to start.

*I know some listen to them in the car but that is a no go for me. LOL In the car, we jam.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I like the idea of it, but it just didn't work for us.  They listen much better when it's me reading the book.  And I agree with the car thing - we jam too haha. 

SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Mine listen to them on their own. I never really used them for an assignment or a purpose, just for fun. I know they've listened to the entire Chronicles of Narnia at least a dozen times!

I'm personally not good with books on tape unless we're on a long car trip. I can't concentrate on the book enough to get anything out of it if I'm also doing something else. The only book I successfully listened to at home was Seamus Heaney's New Verse Translation of Beowulf and that's because I was following along with the book at the same time.

Some people just don't do audiobooks well.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM
We use books on CD in the car & the kids have some read along books on tape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM

My sons Science text is an audio CD. It's not too bad. He sits and listens to it. I usually sit with him tho. We also have a few Magic School Bus audio tapes that we listen to in the car. 

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

DS picks some he likes and listens to them on his own when he wants to. We have listened to others in the car while taking a longer drive somewhere.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I can hardly get my kids to sit still and watch a movie that THEY pick out 90% of the time...even if its in the car or have them sit and listen when I read them a book, even if they pick it out and ask me to read it, so I can't imagine mine sitting and listening to audio tapes all that well either. I have recently had to impliment an hr of quiet time in the house where you either need to be napping or reading. This was partly for my peace of mind and so I could get things done around the house without any interruptions (or sneak in a nap myself lol). Usually during this time it is also no electronics (including for myself). Listening to an audio book with headphones wouldn't be terrible during this time though.

melindabelcher
by Mel on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We like them in the car. What about having "quiet" time each kiddo in their bed and they can listen to the book then when the time is up they get to draw a picture/re-inact/describe what they heard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I've never used books on CD for school activities, but my DS loves, loves them.  He goes in his room and shuts the door and listens to them over and over.  (With his autism repetition is soothing).  I have heard "Rumble in the Jungle" and "Commotion in the Ocean" about a thousand times.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)