Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What time do you usually get things going?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do our best if we start in the morning. This past year, we'd do a lot at afternoon nap time and that was really hard for us to maintain. I know some really thrive on doing it really early or really late in the day.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (11-19):
Mommy2justone
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I found that my daughter is in a better mood to learn if we start right after breakfast. But we haven't fully started yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Hey, don't worry....we don't get started until well after 10 simply because I'm NOT a morning person...lol
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I want to get started about 9-930.  We will see if this actually doable.  I have been having a hard time getting up early (8) when my alarm goes off.  I have a few more weeks to get into the swing of things.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

This will be our first year, but we have been doing light schoolwork this summer.  I have found that it is much beter if we start early.  The kids do better.  I am not much of a morning person, but both of my boys are and my daughter is kind of in between.

I need my peace and quiet for at least an hour in the morning.  So, I am going to get up around 5:30 every morning.  Then I will just sit in peace for about 30 minutes.  Then, I will fix breakfast and wake up DH.  Around 6:15 I will get the kids up. 

We will eat breakfast around 6:30 since DH usually leaves for work around 7.  Then, after breakfast we will have 15 minutes of morning chores.  We will have Bible, Pledges, and work on our weekly memory verse by 8:00.

I am still working on my schedule.  Since my DD is not as much of a morning person as my boys, I think that I will start with me teaching them Algebra 1 first and then Science or History.  My DD will be playing on the computer during this time.

I am trying to figure out if want to do P.E. in the mornin or afternoon.  I think until late September we will want to do it in the morning before it gets hot outside.  But by October itmay be too cool in the morning to go out and we may have to wait until the afternoon..I am just not sure what I am going to do about P.E. yet...lol.

We will school until around 2:30 to 3:00 M-W.  On Thursdays they should be done by 12 and on Friday all we will do is review things that they have had trouble with, recite the memory verse/s that we have been working on and take any tests/quizzes that need to be taken.  Oh and do Art.  The boys wil have Art two times per week since they are in high school and it will be counting toward a grade.

They will also have music everyday.  This will consist of time to practice and/or studying songwritersand maybe classical music.  During art the will either do paintings or drawings  or study artists.  My husband will be doing art with them since he is an art major..lol. 

Our schedule will also include a 30 minute break/snack time and 1 hour lunch/free time.  So in all they will be doing work about 4 hours per day.  They are taking a total of 9 subjects though, so I don't think that is bad.  Art, Music, and P.E. are three subjects that they love and they really don't think of as work though...

oredeb
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

with us everyone had to be up by 8 to eat breakfast and clean room, feed animals, milk goats and do any chores other if there was time

we then started with school stuff at 9

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Earlier, the better! My kids are early risers. It's a struggle to keep them in bed til 7! So 7-730 is wake up, dressed, do chores. 7:30-8 is breakfast. DH works in the backyard :) so he's usually here for breakfast & lunch. Then 8-10 is school. For now. When co-op, swim, & art classes start in Sept that will change a bit but will still add up to 10-15 hrs/wk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM

When we started in January, we got started every morning at 7:30 because that was when his bus used to pick him up.  Then I got to tell him how much extra play time he got each day in the afternoon!  We got in the habit so other than summer break , we get started right after milking (between 7 & 8, depending on how many of our girls are milking!)

MessedUpMama
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I'll have my DS and my DCG (Daycare Girl), my DH and her Mother are on the same schedule, they leave for work around 1 PM and get home around 12 AM, so we will start after they leave. We all sleep until nearly noon so staying up late is easier for us anyway. This will be our first year, but I think it will work out well and this way the kids will actually have some time everyday they can spend with their working parents.

southernwldchld
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My 8th grader likes to get up early so she has at least an hour before all the chaos starts to get good and awake. We get up together, make coffee, get ready for the day.

Then she has some free computer time while I make breakfast. Then we get the kidlets up.

We're normally up by 6, the other kids will sleep til noon if I let them, but then they're all sorts of confuzzled the rest of the day. So we make them get up by 7, then they have plenty of time to eat, get dressed, and do our morning OT. 

School normally starts as soon as OT is done. So around 8:30, no later than 9. Then we're done by noon. Unfortunately, they can only play in the backyard until 2. Truancy laws, I just don't feel like arguing with someone. But after 2 they can terrorize the neighborhood lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN