Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering homeschooling. How do I start?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 29 Replies

The boys are 8 & 10. My husband came to me tonight and expressed an interest in having me homeschool them. I am a SAHM and very open to the idea. I realize there is a lot involved so can anybody at least direct me to a website or info that can help me know what I'm getting in to? Thank you so much.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM
www.hslda.org will give you your State laws. That is the best place to start as every State is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thank you. I was just reading about state laws here in CA. I need to figure out which option is best. I am reading about filing as a Private School at the moment.

Quoting BramblePatch:

www.hslda.org will give you your State laws. That is the best place to start as every State is different.

awilliams77
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM
You are already on the right track- both parents on board, and looking at the state laws! Since your sons have been attending school already, you may want to look for free online charter schools available in CA. Here in SC we have k12 and Connections Academy. These are technically public school, facilitated at home by a parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
My friend filed herself as a private school. It seems like that's the way to go because then they don't bother you. Good luck ;)

Quoting Tesserae:

Thank you. I was just reading about state laws here in CA. I need to figure out which option is best. I am reading about filing as a Private School at the moment.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I was dreaming about this desicion all night, lol, and the k-12 was in my dream. I know I have seen commercials for it so I'll look into it.

Is it difficult teaching 2 different ages? Also, my 10 yr old has an IEP but I feel like one on one would be beneficial for his learning style. He is a tactical learner. He has auditory & visual processing disorder which means traditional teaching methods simply don't work. Whereas my 8 yr old is traditionally brilliant - learns quick.

Quoting awilliams77:

You are already on the right track- both parents on board, and looking at the state laws! Since your sons have been attending school already, you may want to look for free online charter schools available in CA. Here in SC we have k12 and Connections Academy. These are technically public school, facilitated at home by a parent.

Tesserae
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thank you! That does seem to be the way to go. Apparently I remove them from their school then in October I file myself as a school. This is a bit scary =O

Quoting Boobah:

My friend filed herself as a private school. It seems like that's the way to go because then they don't bother you. Good luck ;)

Quoting Tesserae:

Quoting BramblePatch:

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

scary but worth it!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Good luck!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You ask, is it difficult teaching 2 different ages? Well, I have 7 and I teach them all. You learn to go in stages and you learn to take what you get and make the most of it no matter if it was a whole day, half day or even just an hour.  Since you already know both your son's learning styles, you are already on a great start.  You might want to get some activity books from your local store(s) and use them as a supplemntal back up. When you start your schooling, I would start with something  that interests them first. Then you can move on from there.  If you have other questions or just need some assurance and support, you just say something and we will be here. :) 

Quoting Tesserae:

Is it difficult teaching 2 different ages? Also, my 10 yr old has an IEP but I feel like one on one would be beneficial for his learning style. He is a tactical learner. He has auditory & visual processing disorder which means traditional teaching methods simply don't work. Whereas my 8 yr old is traditionally brilliant - learns quick.

Quoting awilliams77:

You are already on the right track- both parents on board, and looking at the state laws!  `` 

undefined

Tesserae
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Can you come over for a week and get me started? =D Please?Just kidding (unless you want to, lol)

I am excited and scared all at once and I appreciate all the help offered. I will take you up on it. I looked into K12 - wow, that is pricey!!! No way that will work. Plus I feel like I would like a more child-lead approach if that is what you call it.

I do have a very important question. Where do I get the guidelines to grade level curriculum? I know things such as math & language arts will need to be kept up to date, I assume anyways. And where do I get these materials. Sorry if that is a huge question, I just want to know what I'm getting into before I commit.

Quoting kirbymom:

You ask, is it difficult teaching 2 different ages? Well, I have 7 and I teach them all. You learn to go in stages and you learn to take what you get and make the most of it no matter if it was a whole day, half day or even just an hour.  Since you already know both your son's learning styles, you are already on a great start.  You might want to get some activity books from your local store(s) and use them as a supplemntal back up. When you start your schooling, I would start with something  that interests them first. Then you can move on from there.  If you have other questions or just need some assurance and support, you just say something and we will be here. :) 

Quoting Tesserae:

Quoting awilliams77:

You are already on the right track- both parents on board, and looking at the state laws!  `` 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)