Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Bedtime at our house is the WORST part of the day for us.  My kids are 7, 6, 4 and 3.  Ds7 and ds4 share a room and ds6 actually had to have his door handle turned around because its the only way we could keep him in his room.  I unlock the door after he's asleep.  Bedtime is 8:30  (later if they are being really good or we are out, earlier if they are being bad).   It doesn't matter how late or early I put them to bed - as soon as the sun begins to make its appearance the slightest bit, ds4 is awake and waking his brothers up.  So...the WORST part:  When we put the boys to bed, they yell, scream, run around the room (even though its dark in there), kick the walls, throw toys, and sometimes ds5 and ds4 will each go by there doors and yell to each other as loud as they can.  And all of this isn't yelling and kicking walls mad - they do it playing, laughing and obviously with the intent of driving my husband and I crazy!!!  If I don't stop it by them getting in trouble, it goes on for hours late into the night.  The problem is that I feel like they are always in trouble because of it and that makes me feel horrible or if I'm doing something wrong.  It seems like they don't care about losing stuff, losing going places, getting grounded, spankings, anything!!!  This past week alone they've lost a trip to a small water park in our town, the beach and spending the night at grandmas (the last week of summer since 2 of them will be going to private schools and the other 2 homeschooled).  They've lost toys, TV, video games and they don't even seem to care.  They would be perfectly content seperated from each other looking at books all day just to do it all again once bedtime comes.  They are stubborn little bugers and I'm going to break.  I feel horrible and feel like something needs to be changed on either our part of their part because its been going on for so long. 

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (11-12):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I have 3 boys; 6, 4, and 2 AND I am currently staying with my inlaws while my hubby is deployed. So it can get difficult. My 3 boys share one room; however, the two oldest go to bed earlier. I put them to bed between 7:30-8. They were starting the whole playing thing for hours too and I decided to separate them. So now my oldest is in his bed and the middle is laying on the chair in the front room. My inlaws watch TV at night but it's normally very boring stuff for kids. So he goes right to sleep and does my oldest. My 2 yr old still nurses so I nurse him to sleep since he really doesn't have a bedtime. As small infants/toddlers I allow them to make their own sleep schedule. With the other two; we've just been very consistant and punished them when needed. The best thing for us to do is split them up tho. It is by far the easiest way to get them to go to bed.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

We only had problems like that during the summer.  It's hard to sleep when you know it is light outside.  So on June 10th we move bedtime from 8:30 to 9:30.  On September 10th we'll move it back.  Also we have a routine that helps. During the winter:  7:30 bath, 8:00 snack (fruit and warm milk), 8:15 brush teeth, story and bed by 8:30.  Summer is a bit more lax.  Sometimes we have fires and eat late so no snack. 

When they are REALLY wild at night we'll either hav warm milk or chamomile tea.  I'll put them in their bed and rub their backs with lavender oil.  Their out in 5-10 minutes tops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)