Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for advice

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son is going into the third grade.  In Math he's going into 5th grade.  He is homeschooled thought CAVA .  I was just informed that this year I need to slow down my son in math.  So he doesn't get too far ahead of everyone else. Because, CAVA does not want him doing High School Math before he gets into 7th grade. I'll take any advise

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in slowing a child's learning down because of a program. I would find another program that wont ask that of you & him.

Danielle163
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting usmom3:

I don't believe in slowing a child's learning down because of a program. I would find another program that wont ask that of you & him.

Exactly.  I agree that he needs removed from the program and I would (if this was my child) make my own curriculum (pieced together) so it would fit his needs/different grade levels for different subjects  better. Hope that makes sense.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting usmom3:

Exactly.  I agree that he needs removed from the program and I would (if this was my child) make my own curriculum (pieced together) so it would fit his needs/different grade levels for different subjects  better. Hope that makes sense.

I was going to say that too but then thought maybe she is in a state that it is easier to homeschool through a program like that because it is so strict with the laws.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

What is cava?  Do you want to stick with CAVA?  Is it an online school?

I would NOT slow him down!!!!  That's silly.  I'd give them an ultimatum, let him keep moving at the pace he wants, or we walk away.  That's what we've told k12.  And they let us do it our way (so far).

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting usmom3:

Agree!!

Maybe you could do math on the side through a free program like www.khanacademy.org

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Agreed!

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM

hi fugate, hmmm never heard of cava, what kinda program is it? there should be no need to slow your child down, in any program,  did you tell them you dont want to stop his progress? thats what homeschooling is all about, going at our own paces, doenst matter what grade they are in in any subject, can you take him out of their math till he hits 7th grade and do another math program?

is this it?  http://www.k12.com/cava/curriculum/k-8/

Danielle163
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting usmom3:

I was going to say that too but then thought maybe she is in a state that it is easier to homeschool through a program like that because it is so strict with the laws.

Yeah, you might be right usmom, maybe that is why she is using a program. I totally get everyone has to do what they have to.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Quoting oredeb:

hi fugate, hmmm never heard of cava, what kinda program is it? there should be no need to slow your child down, in any program,  did you tell them you dont want to stop his progress? thats what homeschooling is all about, going at our own paces, doenst matter what grade they are in in any subject, can you take him out of their math till he hits 7th grade and do another math program?

is this it?  http://www.k12.com/cava/curriculum/k-8/

K12 has different names in different states, in hers it is Cava.
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting usmom3:

Yeah, you might be right usmom, maybe that is why she is using a program. I totally get everyone has to do what they have to.

Yeah some state just make it to hard to do unless you use there online PS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)