Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So, what year did you graduate?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Replies (71-80):
MessedUpMama
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I graduated High School in 1977.

Got my first AA degree in 1988.

Second AA in 1995.

BS in 1998.

ordieswife1117
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Did you know at the time, that your mom was a revolutionary?

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

1986 and you are all making me feel old.  I have been homeschooling children since 1995.  I was homeschooled back in the early 80's when parents were being arrested and jailed and having their kids taken away for homeschooling.  My mom was a revolutionary in her own way.

ajmurphy
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

sheila5745
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Quoting oredeb:

someone close to my age 1976....

Kassi12
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

MomofSCMJJA
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting mem82:

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

1986 and you are all making me feel old.  I have been homeschooling children since 1995.  I was homeschooled back in the early 80's when parents were being arrested and jailed and having their kids taken away for homeschooling.  My mom was a revolutionary in her own way.

Actually, yeah I did.  We had long talks about what we would do if the authorites insisted I be enrolled in school and and what point we would give up and do so.  We talked about the difference between preference and conviction and about paying the cost to do what you know is right.  At one point one of the other homeschool families we knew got a letter from the state insisting that the children be enrolled immediately and gave them something like 10 days to comply before "further action would be taken."  The family freaked out and enrolled the kids.  Our entire group (about a dozen families) held thier collective breath waiting to see who would be next, but no one else was contacted.  We had an active lobby group that was working with the legislature to try to pass laws to be more friendly to homeschoolers and as a result, for years Arizona had the most liberal laws for homeschoolers in the nation.  They were the first state to drop the hoops that homeschooling families had to jump through.  Over the course of several years, the state went from insisting that in order to homeschool, the parent had to be or hire a certified teacher (since of course you can't teach your children if you didn't go to teacher's college to teach you how, right?) through having to submit lesson plans and curriculum for approval, then to having to have a "mentor" teacher that you had to keep notified of the child's progress in monthly reports plus having to complete standardized testing with the public school, to finally only requiring that the teaching parent had to passed the basic skills section of the state teacher's exam.  Now, Arizona has exactly one requirement:  notify the school district in writing that your child will be homeschooled and will not be attending the district school-period.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

That is so awesome! History in the making. 8)

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

Actually, yeah I did.  We had long talks about what we would do if the authorites insisted I be enrolled in school and and what point we would give up and do so.  We talked about the difference between preference and conviction and about paying the cost to do what you know is right.  At one point one of the other homeschool families we knew got a letter from the state insisting that the children be enrolled immediately and gave them something like 10 days to comply before "further action would be taken."  The family freaked out and enrolled the kids.  Our entire group (about a dozen families) held thier collective breath waiting to see who would be next, but no one else was contacted.  We had an active lobby group that was working with the legislature to try to pass laws to be more friendly to homeschoolers and as a result, for years Arizona had the most liberal laws for homeschoolers in the nation.  They were the first state to drop the hoops that homeschooling families had to jump through.  Over the course of several years, the state went from insisting that in order to homeschool, the parent had to be or hire a certified teacher (since of course you can't teach your children if you didn't go to teacher's college to teach you how, right?) through having to submit lesson plans and curriculum for approval, then to having to have a "mentor" teacher that you had to keep notified of the child's progress in monthly reports plus having to complete standardized testing with the public school, to finally only requiring that the teaching parent had to passed the basic skills section of the state teacher's exam.  Now, Arizona has exactly one requirement:  notify the school district in writing that your child will be homeschooled and will not be attending the district school-period.

Shari55
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Well high school, was suppose to graduate in 1975

Got my GED in 1988

Got my BA in 2007

Got my 1st Masters in 2009

Got my 2nd Masters in 2012

Without Faith there is no Hope, Without Hope there is no Faith, this is true in all religions.

Shari

oredeb
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

way to go your mom!!! i started in 83!

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)