Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Left handed scissors - is there such a thing? Also, more left handed child advice.

Posted by   + Show Post
My middle daughter is left handed. I want to start giving her opportunities to cut and paste, but I want to make sure it's comfortable for her so she doesn't struggle.

Are scissors made for both hands? I'm not sure how they would be different. If there are lefty scissors, where can you get them? I looked at staples and didn't find anything.

Is there any other advice you have for educating a left handed child I might not have thought about?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I found some "beginner scissors" today that are for either - and they don't cut hair or skin - so they say. I'll try this out myself. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Quoting oredeb:

there use to be left handed scissors and i bought my 1dd some! she had them for years! i got mine at a craft store years ago,

one thing i did for my dd wrting was i never let her write up side down,you know what i mean that crooked way most lefties hold their hands to write!, she had to keep her hand like the rest of us rightys, not sure why i did that (to many years ago!) but she has very nice handwriting for  a lefty! lefys adjust to the righty world!

Rather than curving my write I tend to angle the paper a bit so I can keep my write straight.
southernwldchld
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting oredeb:

there use to be left handed scissors and i bought my 1dd some! she had them for years! i got mine at a craft store years ago,

one thing i did for my dd wrting was i never let her write up side down,you know what i mean that crooked way most lefties hold their hands to write!, she had to keep her hand like the rest of us rightys, not sure why i did that (to many years ago!) but she has very nice handwriting for  a lefty! lefys adjust to the righty world!

Rather than curving my write I tend to angle the paper a bit so I can keep my write straight.

That's what I've been trying to teach 5yo dd, she's a leftie and we didn't even notice until she was four and her ggma said, hey we got a southpaw on our hands. We'd just been unconciously setting her place, handing her things, etc, lefty. 

We also try to make sure she has enough room at the table. Her brothers are righty's and they tend to take up her space if we're not careful.

One thing I have noticed with Jae is we have to remind her everytime to start on the left side of the page. The other kids it was never a problem, but if we just say, write your name at the top of the paper, she starts from the right corner and writes it perfectly mirror imaged. 

But if we remind her to start at the left side, she does it normally. 

I swear we spend so much time teaching kids to not write backwards, sometimes I think they're the one's who're right.

Tesserae
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My 10 yr old is left handed. I have never bought him anything special and he gets along just fine =)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

My husband is ambidextrous. Meaning he uses either hand equally.  My youngest I think is going to turn out the same way.  I know that there used to be lefty scissors but I think they make sissors that will fit both hands equally. As pixydust said, just treat her the same and she should turn out just fine. 

undefined

MrsWhite101610
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Dh and I are both lefties. Dd sees to mainly be a righty. Just my luck lol. Watch her when she's reading. Sometimes lefties read from right to left or end to beginning.

Btw I can use my right hand to write. That I give credit to my sister for. I had to help her and she's a righty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

My BIL writes like this.  My FIL is also a lefty and isn't quite as bad about it but BIL is.  

I was noticing in the Horizons Penmanship Grade 1 book they show the "proper" position for lefties.

Quoting oredeb:

sheila5745
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM

there are left handed scissors, my son is a lefty.. We bought him left handed ones. Just watch and most scissors will say for the same or left , right handed one or the other! They do make left handed scissors for adults. My hubby is left handed and we have a pretty orange pair for him.. This way they are so pretty, every one knows they are his..

sheila5745
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Quoting mynameismuerte:

My BIL writes like this.  My FIL is also a lefty and isn't quite as bad about it but BIL is.  

I was noticing in the Horizons Penmanship Grade 1 book they show the "proper" position for lefties.

Quoting oredeb:

My son has really nice writing too, I never tried to do anything with the way he held his hand or pencil.Now that you say that, He does have the left turn on his hand. My mother n law always tried to put the pencil in the right hand.. She finally gave up Ha ha ....

sheila5745
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quoting southernwldchld:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting oredeb:

That's what I've been trying to teach 5yo dd, she's a leftie and we didn't even notice until she was four and her ggma said, hey we got a southpaw on our hands. We'd just been unconciously setting her place, handing her things, etc, lefty. 

We also try to make sure she has enough room at the table. Her brothers are righty's and they tend to take up her space if we're not careful.

One thing I have noticed with Jae is we have to remind her everytime to start on the left side of the page. The other kids it was never a problem, but if we just say, write your name at the top of the paper, she starts from the right corner and writes it perfectly mirror imaged. 

But if we remind her to start at the left side, she does it normally. 

I swear we spend so much time teaching kids to not write backwards, sometimes I think they're the one's who're right.

my hubby always sits at the end of a table or booth when we go out, that way we don't bump each other, him left and me right. I think it is hard to teach a lefty how to do things, tye shoes,, etc..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)