Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about co-op EDIT for clarification

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

As some of you know, I am on the leadership team for our homeschool group/co-op. I am the "Moms' Group coordinator" meaning I am responsible for coming up with activities, etc. for us to do when we're NOT teaching or helping with classes. I already sent an email around to the group introducing myself and asking for ideas about what everyone would be interested in doing this year. It didn't dawn on me when I read the list that we have a homeschooling DAD in our group this year!! His wife works and he stays home with the children. Nearly everything that I came up with was geared towards moms but we want to make him feel included as part of the group, so it's back to the drawing board! Does anyone have any ideas of things we could do that a man would enjoy participating in?

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion about how our group works and why I'm asking this question. I guess I should have been more clear! Our group only meets for 2 hours every Tuesday, as opposed to all day which is how most co-ops work. One hour is gym class and the other hour is an enrichment class ( art, science, etc.). We have the year divided up into 5 week units with different things being taught in each unit. Everyone has to take their turn either teaching or helping in class for a unit. For example, during unit 2, which is in October and November, I am assigned to teach gym class for 5 weeks and the person who taught gym the previous 5 week unit will have the next 5 weeks off from teaching and that's where the Moms/Parents Room and acivities come in. At any given time, there will probably be about 9 people in the Moms/Parents Room, with everyone taking their turn when assigned. Does that make sense?

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Card games?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

bowling?

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Quoting mem82:

bowling?

We can't bowl during co-op time, LOL! That's a good idea for a parents' night out though. I will keep that it mind.

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

reading a certain homeschool book

i dont get it, when are you moms/dads suppose to be doing these activities?

you could be helping the other moms teach their classes

figuring out your lesson plans for your coop class or you at home schooling

take advantage of someone elses gift and have them teach you all something?

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

So these are activities you will do WHILE co-op is going on? Hmmm, never heard it done that way before.

In our co-op we have 3 blocks of classes, lasting 1 hour each. EVERY mom/dad/grandparent is required to volunteer for 2 of the blocks and they get 1 block off. During the off time they are free to go into a mom's room. In there we have a board member who makes sure they are aware of any sign up sheets, deadlines or any upcoming activities. Also, we have a theme every week for open discussions in the mom's room. Things like homeschooling styles, favorite resources, keeping records, etc...And once a semester we have a curriculum swap and a market day ( parents that sell or promote certain products may do so on this day). Oh yeah, the most important thing that happens in the mom's room....food/coffee and NO KIDS allowed : )

We have someone is charge of making sure the mom's room has snacks/drinks every week. Each family is suppose to sign up for one item for one Friday to bring to the room.

Now, we have seperate Mom's Night Out that happen throughout the year. These do not happen during co-op, not even on the same day. Here are some various themes we have had in the past: movie night, spa night (this was at my house where we enjoyed the pool and hot tub), meet for dessert and coffee, board games, recipe swap, chocolate lovers night, book club, and crafting.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Quoting oredeb:

reading a certain homeschool book

i dont get it, when are you moms/dads suppose to be doing these activities?

you could be helping the other moms teach their classes

figuring out your lesson plans for your coop class or you at home schooling

take advantage of someone elses gift and have them teach you all something?

Let me clarify. Everyone is taking their turn throughout the year either teaching or helping in a class but everyone won't be teaching or helping at the same time. We have a schedule mapping out who is teaching or helping where what and when. Our group meets for two hours every Tuesday. The activities are for the ones who arent teaching or helping at that particular time. Does that make sense?

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

BUMP for edit!!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Provide coffee and a couple of boxes of homeschool resource books. Sounds like a great time for the parents to relax on their mornings off. They're adults. Surely they can entertain themselves for two hours once a week.

I'm sorry, Beth. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I just don't see why every minute has to be filled. If I was a parent who wasn't obligated to teach or help that week, I'd value that downtime to just read or talk quietly.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Provide coffee and a couple of boxes of homeschool resource books. Sounds like a great time for the parents to relax on their mornings off. They're adults. Surely they can entertain themselves for two hours once a week.

I'm sorry, Beth. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I just don't see why every minute has to be filled. If I was a parent who wasn't obligated to teach or help that week, I'd value that downtime to just read or talk quietly.

The whole idea is that we are in a central location if we are needed. Last year, there was a problem with some of the moms hiding out in the parking lot in their cars or various other places, and if something came up with their children, someone had to run all over the place willy-nilly trying to find them.

This Moms/Parents Room isn't as formal and structured as it sounds. It's mainly just a time for us to get to know each other better. Every minute isn't GOING to be structured and scheduled but I don't see a problem with having SOMETHING fun for us to do. I was ASKED to take this position by the lady who oversees the group. I was only asking for suggestions, not snarky comments but I guess I should have just not said anything in the first place.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I apologize again for any offense I may have caused. I was still unclear about the amount of structure you were seeking. I like swim-mom's ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)