Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

State testing?

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sooo I know certain states do state testing every couple of years. I know WV (where we're currently living) does WEST TEST which I believe (and I could be very wrong) is 3rd 5th 7th and 11th grades. (these tests are different from standarized tests that are taken at the end of the yr so I've been told) Do homeschoolers still have to take these tests, and if so...what process do I have to go through to make sure she takes them? The lady in charge of the board of ed isn't exactly the most helpful lady and I swear she takes pleasure in watching parents who homeschool sweat....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I bet you are right No_Difference.  If you call your State Home School association, they are usually most helpful with these things.

West Virginia Home Educators Association

Testing In WV

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Quoting romacox:

I bet you are right No_Difference.  If you call your State Home School association, they are usually most helpful with these things.

Testing In WV

I agree. Your states HS assoc is the way to go. Most BOE's don't know the answer to HS questions and end up giving inaccurate info.
sheila5745
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting romacox:

Testing In WV

so where or how do I find my state home school association? Didn't know there was such a thing. I am so lucky to have found this site with all you wonderful women!! You all just know sooo much and have helped me out a whole bunch.. I am in Ohio.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

THIS......

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting romacox:

Testing In WV

I agree. Your states HS assoc is the way to go. Most BOE's don't know the answer to HS questions and end up giving inaccurate info.

undefined

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hi sheila5745,

At the following link are two choices for you in Ohio that I have found.  Ohio State Home School Associations

Mine is in Florida (Florida Parent Educators Association), and they are awesome....so helpful.

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting romacox:

Testing In WV

so where or how do I find my state home school association? Didn't know there was such a thing. I am so lucky to have found this site with all you wonderful women!! You all just know sooo much and have helped me out a whole bunch.. I am in Ohio.

ANGS71
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Hi I'm Charleston Wv and my son was in the 8th grade last year and he took the Westtest.We had to notify the Board Of Education  before January  the 31st I believe and take test in May.If you find any resources or any help online courses please let me know.I'm lost with the School Board they  don't give you any info so your out there on your own.

kajira
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM

We luckily don't have to prove education or pass tests. However, my rule of thumb is being GED ready by 8th grade. That to me, is equiv of being ready to enter high school. LOL So as long as that's where we end up, I'm happy. 

awilliams77
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM
SC does not require yearly testing, so we don't. When we lived in NC in the 90's, it was required, so we did. A lady in our church was a test proctor and gave the test on certain days each year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN