Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We fell down a rabbit hole so big I felt like Alice in Wonderland! Also a question?

Posted by   + Show Post

So..We sat down to go History today. Mind you it is a history curriculum and this year it covers Creation to the Resurrection. Today's lesson was supposed to be about The Ice Age.

Well one thing lead to another and an hour and a half later we were no where near the Ice Age. lol We got half way through the lesson before I pulled out the World Map to show where we have Ice on the Earth right now. Well the back side of the map has the United States on it and lets just say it rolled ino states and where we live and then where our states are on the world map, then we followed the great lakes and the rivers, studied pictures of sand dollars you can find on the beach, then we were studying the biggest and littlest state, and then somehow ended up studying the Great Salt Lake in Utah? lol

It amazes me the little sponges that are sitting in front of me. Everything we looked up came from questions they asked..and I know they learned a lot more than that curriculum had planned. They LOVE maps!

my question.. I want to expend on this and incorporate more maps, probably starting with where we live and moving on from there. Any tips for getting into this? where to start? History and geopraphy have always been interesting to me, but I never got very far. They love it and I do not want to hold them back. 

Maybe we should just pick a state and study it?

What would you suggest?

They are 4 and 7 and in K and 1st.

thanks in advance for any advice! :o)

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM

if you have a chamber of commerce in your town another good place to get info they are so helpful especially if its for the kids!

Ooh thanks for the tourist site suggestion. I have been googling all evening trying to find a decent map of our state. I was considering going to the Court House tomorrow to see what they had. I was looking around the area and there are some local places I have yet to take the kids. Gonna do that very soon!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

That's why I didn't use a curriculum in homeschooling until junior high school, and then only for Math and Language.  Now that my daughter is in 9th grade, we use a full curriculum for the first time, and sometimes I feel like we are missing the joy of homeschooling in focusing on meeting requirements and recording grades.

At that age, making sure they learn their math concepts and reading skills is essential, but other than that, don't worry about following a curriculum nearly as much as following the child's interest.  I can't imagine a sorrier thing than having a child get excited about something and then being told "No, we can't study that, it's not on the lesson plans until you are in the third grade (or even February!), so you'll have to wait!

A child's mind is more like a hungry monster-it will gobble up anything you feed it!

I'm too nervous to go off curriculum just yet. I like having that general guide when I am drawing a blank. We only really 'study' History twice a week. But we will frequently find something we want to look up and be off on that and who knows what for a couple hours at a time. It is so much fun. Plus everyone always learns something. :) (including mom)
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Quoting oredeb:

Hmm I will check it out. I was considering checking at the historical society, it is two blocks from the court house.
Which btw I just found out tonight..that our court house used to be a mansion that a man had built and his daughter had all these rules built into the title of the estate!(such as no alcohol could be served at parties and there was to be no dancing done in the third story ballroom) It is very neat. I assumed the city had the court house built..had no idea it was originally someone's mansion! Oops sorry..rabbit hole. Lol
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a world map as a shower curtain like this and are using laminated maps of the world and United States as placemats. :-) Every time they finish a meal, they want to play the "map game." They'll find places on the map until I'm tired of talking. There are placemats here and here, but I just laminated maps of a similar size that I found at our educational store, and it was a little bit cheaper. Those placemats are great, and I may end up getting them anyway though. 

We also have a few game places:

http://www.playkidsgames.com/games/statesFind/default.htm#

http://www.softschools.com/social_studies/continents/map.jsp

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

Oredeb,

I just added yours to our list. My kids will like that one! Thanks!

Channell07
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM

There is a curriculum I came across today that may be interesting... http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/u-s-geography

Channell07
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

For as cheap as it is I am thinking of having it on hand for situations like you are talking about! lol

MomofSCMJJA
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

That's why I didn't use a curriculum in homeschooling until junior high school, and then only for Math and Language.  Now that my daughter is in 9th grade, we use a full curriculum for the first time, and sometimes I feel like we are missing the joy of homeschooling in focusing on meeting requirements and recording grades.

At that age, making sure they learn their math concepts and reading skills is essential, but other than that, don't worry about following a curriculum nearly as much as following the child's interest.  I can't imagine a sorrier thing than having a child get excited about something and then being told "No, we can't study that, it's not on the lesson plans until you are in the third grade (or even February!), so you'll have to wait!

A child's mind is more like a hungry monster-it will gobble up anything you feed it!

I'm too nervous to go off curriculum just yet. I like having that general guide when I am drawing a blank. We only really 'study' History twice a week. But we will frequently find something we want to look up and be off on that and who knows what for a couple hours at a time. It is so much fun. Plus everyone always learns something. :) (including mom)

What I used to do was print out a copy of the state standards and as we went off on tangents, we would check them off the list.  As we got further into the year, I would kind of "guide" their interests to make sure we hit everything we needed to, but mostly it had to do with the kids interests. 

One thing we did was teach History Through Literature.  Among the companies that have guidebooks or curriculum are Beautiful Feet Books, Nothing New Press, and History Alive!  All are pretty good, but we used Beautiful Feet.  It's a good way to "lightly" use a curriculum.

haskins46563
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Here is a lapbook about all 50 states. Im using it along with a couple other things to teach my kids (6 and 8) where the states are, the capitals, and abbreviations for them.

http://marinecorpsnomads.com/2009/02/united-states-lapbook.html
oredeb
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM

that looks fun!!! thanks

Quoting Channell07:

There is a curriculum I came across today that may be interesting... http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/u-s-geography

oredeb
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

wow haskins, this is a great one!! some neat lapbooks and file folders games also!

Quoting haskins46563:

Here is a lapbook about all 50 states. Im using it along with a couple other things to teach my kids (6 and 8) where the states are, the capitals, and abbreviations for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)