Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you let your kids have a say in whether they homeschool or not?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 35 Replies
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-StarsChildren-
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I let him have a say as far as "do you wanna do it right now or later" and "which do you wanna do first" Mon-Thurs, then on Friday if he wants to do some he'll bring what he wants to do to me. I have to have a schedule for me I have found over the last month or so, it don't work so well with him, but works for me so I set my schedule of what I would like to get done on a specific day and then let him decide when and what subject.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I do.  I wanted to continue homeschooling my 6 year old for kindergarten and she wanted to go to public school.  I told her I would let her try.  I was told I was being stupid for letting her choose.  I told her I would pull her if I felt it wasnt helping her.  I let her stay till Feb. because I told her I would give her 6 months and we were moving in feb. 

So we are now homeschooling and she doesnt get to choose till 2nd grade again and niether will her siblings.  In 3rd grade if they want they can try.  But I still reserve the right to pull them or keep them home.  I have to be able to find a school that will meet thier needs.  If I cant then they stay home.  I refuse to send them to a school for them not to learn anything.

tmgonz
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

No, because we know what is best for them. Now I did let my oldest go back to ps, but only because I pulled her for her 10th grade year and she only homeschooled for 5 weeks. She liked homeschooling just missed her friends and she does well in school. She is #10 in her class out of 552 so we will leave her there. But my younger girls will not get to choose.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids decide what they learn & how they learn it. As far as whether they are homeschooled or attend public school we act as though PS doesn't exist & therefor isn't an option.

oredeb
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

No !

lucsch
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Sort of?

My dd9 has no choice in the matter.

My older children started in a private school--the eldest went there all the way through. We tried homeschooling the middle two many years ago. It didn't work out for any of us--long story. They have finished their schooling in public school, and it has been great. One of them briefly considered being homeschooled in high school; and I would have supported him in that, of course.

But, I feel differently about my youngest and only daughter. I see the society and the schools changing for the worse. Even though we have 5 star public schools (my two public schooled teens made 1950 and 2070 on the SAT, so they must have taught them something), I don't want my dd involved in public school. My dh, who is a public school principal, agrees with me, by the way.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM
My oldest is going into high school and I am allowing him to choose how he wants to be educated. The local high school has a robotics and engineering program that he wants to do so I will allow it. If he doesn't get in, then he will continue homeschooling as I refuse to allow him to go to our zone school. It is awful.

The younger two, get no choice until high school, maybe not even then. DS2 has ADD and is very immature. He also struggles academically and would not do well in a PS setting. I do not ever see him wanting to go to PS.

DD, we will see where things are when she gets there.

They also get a say in what/when they study. I show them what we have for subjects and they choose week to week what we do from that. I give them assignment sheets on Monday and they are due Friday at noon...if they do it all in one day, or spread out, I don't care. It is only the group subjects we do each day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM
My kids will get the choice at 6th grade, 9th grade, and 11th grade (unless the set up of our school district changes). And if they don't bring it up, then we won't tell them otherwise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Like others have said, sort of.

We pulled DD out of 9th grade for several reasons, but none of them had to do with the quality of education she was receiving. That's the bonus of being in Honors courses instead of in general population.

We're hs'ing this year to get a handle on some of her issues and she sees and understands what's going on - and she agrees with it. If we think she's strong enough to face high school again by *next* fall, I'll let her go with my blessing. She really wants to go back because she wants to take her AP and advanced classes.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM
I asked ds what he wanted to do, he doesn't really care. He was in ps for kinder and first but we're pulling him out for now. I'll only be homeschooling for a few years until I move to a better school district.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)