Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you let your kids have a say in whether they homeschool or not?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Replies (31-35):
awilliams77
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM
So far, it hasn't been an option or a request with our four, until our last child. (12yods) has been asking about going to ps for high school. Our 3 daughters (17,19,22) did not attend school until college. I am not keen on the idea, but will try to keep an open mind. DH is more open to the idea than I am.
I really don't like the idea of ANY brick and mortar school setting for my children until they are of an age to go for a specific reason and can legally choose whether or not to attend. That leaves college, trade school, etc. NOT high school. Our 2 oldest girls have done just fine in the programs of their choosing. Dd3 hasn't gone anywhere else yet, but is looking into cosmetology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I did allow my two younger daughters to choose PS or Homeschool, they both chose homeschooling. My youngest was going to a small private school that was more of a homeschool environment, and was going to return till they changed locations...move 1-1/2 hours away...which the teacher is upset that she isn't returning, we had to look at the safety factor since she would be riding the city buses (two of the transfer points are not safe at all). The curriculum we are useing will allow her to work part time and finish school by August.

Without Faith there is no Hope, Without Hope there is no Faith, this is true in all religions.

Shari

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Absolutely but I am not too worried.  They love homeschooling and are having too much fun to stop.  I try and follow their needs and interests.  Next month we are starting our co-ops.  They will be starting a class on learning science through making pizza over an open fire and the next month they will take a class on the water shed while riding in a canoe.  They know they would not be given that kind of learning in any school.  You can't force a child to enjoy homeschooling.  If we weren't homeschooling I know I would be very picky what school they went to.  

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM
No, but she also wants to HS so no problems yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaMRamos
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I made the mistake of letting my son go to public school in 5th grade.   We had moved to a nice area and I let him decide.  It was then that things changed and there was no going back.  The damage from one teacher alone was tremendous.  His 6th grade teacher was awesome but it didn't fix the damage already created.  My son is now in his 20's and still having a rough time.  My daughter is in the 6th grade level now, she has moments where she begs to try public schooling.  She is so back and forth on it.  For now she doesn't have a choice.  I can't say what the future will hold but for now we are standing firm.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN